Wednesday, February 20, 2008

What Is It?

My Beloved is a good natured guy - he even agrees to whack in half large squashes in the morning before he's even out of his bathrobe.

We call it the Huge Mystery Squash (HMS). With only two eaters in the house, it will take us quite some time to finish this much HMS. When I purchased it at the farmer's market in the Civic Center, they told me it was a "red kabocha" squash but, having consulted some online pictures, I'm skeptical. It looks nothing like a kabocha.

Do any of you out there know what kind of squash this is? It's clearly a winter variety and it tastes a bit like butternut in soup, although less smooth. When roasted, it was easy to peel; raw, it was hard to peel using either a paring knife or a vegetable peeler.

Let me know what you think!

7 Comments:

Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Um... a pumpkin?
(Cute robe on that boy!)

Zoomie, I tagged you at I'm Mad and I Eat.

Wednesday, February 20, 2008  
Blogger peter said...

Some Kabocha are red. It looks to me like a big-ass red kabocha.

Try making peanut soup with the rest, and coconut milk.

Wednesday, February 20, 2008  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Cookiecrumb, I should have shown you the top - you'd have known it wasn't a pumpkin. But, it's big like that!

Peter, aha! The guy who sold it to me did say it was a red kabocha, so perhaps he wasn't just flimflamming me. Anyway, it's delicious and I'm enjoying it in soup, just plain and now you give me the idea of trying it with peanut soup! I just happen to have gotten a boatload of fresh peanuts from Plantation Peanuts, so I'll look for a recipe and see what I think! Thanks for the ID...

Wednesday, February 20, 2008  
Blogger Buzz Baylis said...

CookieCrumb,

Thank you!

MB

Thursday, February 21, 2008  
Blogger Ms Brown Mouse said...

No idea what it is but make sure you use some of it to make a HMS& chickpea red curry.

Saturday, February 23, 2008  
Blogger Zoomie said...

DMM, ooooh, good idea to use some of it to make curry! I'll have to research some ideas!

Saturday, February 23, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so glad that you posted the picture of your red kabocha squash. A few months ago I bought one through my CSA. Then I forgot what it was and thought it was a pumpkin...well, I guess it could be considered a Japanese pumpkin. But anyway, tonight I used it to make a pumpkin pecan cake from Carol Walters (an amazing cookbook writer of baked goods). It is great and so your pictured squash is delicious in baked goods, too!! And I don't think I'll forget what a red kabocha squash looks like again!

Tuesday, March 04, 2008  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home