Wednesday, November 17, 2010

It All Started When I Caught Cold...

It all started when I caught a cold flying back from the East Coast. That's what you get for stuffing yourself along with 300 strangers into a metal tube and projecting yourself across country at unnatural speeds. Flying doesn't scare me but it almost always gives me a cold.

So, when I roasted a chicken for dinner, I saved the bones for cold-beating chicken soup. I simmered them in water with a coarsely chopped onion and some carrot tops until the veggies yelled "uncle!" and the bones all but dissolved.

But then Cora broke her toe and the medicine the vet gave her to reduce inflammation in her toe gave her a serious case of the collywobbles, and she needed the chicken broth more than I did.

So, I tried the broth to settle her stomach, but it didn't work.

So, I cooked some rice to mix with the chicken broth - all I had in the house was arborio rice for making risotto but I figured, what the heck? It didn't work, either.

So, I took her back to the vet and he gave her a med and cans of bland food to stop her vomiting, which worked. At last. After we had run out of carpet cleaner and had to go buy two more bottles. If you are looking for a good stock in which to invest, here's a hot tip - buy stock in the Resolve carpet cleaner company. They will be declaring a dividend any day now, based solely on our recent purchases.

So, there I was left with chicken broth, chicken pieces picked before I brothed the carcass, and white rice. All I needed to add was salt, pepper and green peas to make a great lunch to serve with a ham and cheese sandwich.

I may never fly back east again. It all started when I caught a cold.

Labels:

9 Comments:

Blogger Toons said...

Good food and stock tips to boot! You are amazing.

Wednesday, November 17, 2010  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

We are a Resolve-intensive family, too. A previous dog of ours liked to barf. He did it mostly outdoors, but to him, it was sport, not sickness. Which is sick.

What a good mom you are to try all those remedies for Cora! (I'm so glad you got to save the chicky-rice for yourself.)

Wednesday, November 17, 2010  
Blogger Zoomie said...

James, I'm glad you think so. Another tip would be to stock up on Sartain's sauce. :-)

Cookiecrumb, thank heavens for Resolve, although I was afraid to try it on the multicolored wool rug that Cora so liberally decorated. Looked rather like your post for the day - barf everywhere. That one, I took to the Oriental carpet store where they consented to clean it and soaked me for big bucks.

Wednesday, November 17, 2010  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Yeeks. I'm due to clean some very inexpensive colorful carpets, and I'm darned if I'll pay Persian prices.

Wednesday, November 17, 2010  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Do you do it yourself? I'd love to know how. I'd be happy to help you do yours in order to learn how.

Wednesday, November 17, 2010  
Blogger Nancy Ewart said...

What a saga! Poor Cora but Poor Zoomie to be sick and also have to clean up after the dog! Good luck on getting the carpets cleaned.

Wednesday, November 17, 2010  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Nancy, the carpets came clean - that Resolve is amazing - and all I had was a cold. Not so bad. But we were genuinely worried about Cora. She lost weight visibly during the week and was just miserable, not at all herself. She's back to battery now and feeling fine, thank heavens!

Thursday, November 18, 2010  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

When we lived in Mill Valley we had a second-story deck. It was perfect to wash a rug on, because the water ran through the slats. I can't remember if your decking is slatty, but the method is: Warm day, hose, mild soap, scrub brush. Gentle massaging with the brush -- don't want to loosen fibers. Then rinse and let dry.

Thursday, November 18, 2010  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Our deck might work - it does have slats. I'll remember that for next time. I suppose Woolite would be a good soap to use.

Thursday, November 18, 2010  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home