Sunday, November 21, 2010

Serious Squash

Here's the kabocha squash soup I made from the rest of the squash crescents I roasted along with dinner a couple of nights ago.

To enhance flavors, I softened a chopped onion in a little butter before adding the peeled, cubed, roasted squash and chicken broth to cover. After simmering for about 30 minutes, I let the soup cool overnight and blended it smooth the next morning.

All it needed was a little salt and pepper and a gentle heating to make a lovely, dark orange soup to accompany the pumpkin pecan muffins at brunch. I can't say I could taste the sausage but the soup was splendid nonetheless. A serious squash meal.

We busted out the antigue china for this event - how often do you get to consult with your daughter over her choice of wedding dress? We call that an occasion!

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Looks really good. So dark! The idea of roasting it is brills. And I love how you are improvising.

Sunday, November 21, 2010  
Blogger Ms Brown Mouse said...

It does look so wonderfully dark, the only time I've ever achieved that sort of darkness was when I added blood-orange marmalade!
Beautiful plates :)

Sunday, November 21, 2010  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Cookiecrumb, you'd like this one - nearly vegetarian and oh, so tasty!

Ms. Mouse, thanks - I love enameled china and, in this case, my mother's gold-rimmed plates underneath the bowls.

Monday, November 22, 2010  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home