Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Raspberry Ripple

Okay, who remembers Ripple? Even back in my youth, it was considered laughable, but we drank it anyway and thought we were pretty darned sophisticated because we knew the difference between Ripple and serious wines like Mateus and Lancers.

Which has nothing whatever to do with the frozen yogurt dessert I made last week in my trusty, if crippled, Donvier ice cream maker, except that I made peach FroYo with raspberry coulis ripples.

Béa gave me the recipe at her site, La Tartine Gourmande. She made popsicles with it and so did I, but I had quite a bit of peach base left over after filling my diminutive popsicle molds, so I stirred in my leftover raspberry coulis and popped the rippled results into a freezer container, thinking I'd scoop it like ice cream.

Think again.

It's a better texture for a popsicle. As a scoop, it's too icy and not creamy enough, although the flavor was good. Just sayin'. Some of my best ideas are not.

Labels:

10 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks for the trip down memory lane to "Ripple"....(also Mateus and Lancers)!

Wednesday, August 18, 2010  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Janie, only folks our age would get the reference. :-) By today's standards, both were horrible wines, but they were the best available at the time in other than California.

Wednesday, August 18, 2010  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

In my culture Ripple and Thunderbird were only for winos. We couldn't always afford Mateus and Lancers. So we got huge jugs of Red Mountain. Then that was discontinued over claims it wasn't even really wine, and replaced with Carlo Rossi.

Which is not to say I don't think your experiment still looks wonderful. Any way to save it?

Wednesday, August 18, 2010  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Cookiecrumb, we ate it anyway and the flavor was good, just not great texture. It needs to be creamier if we want it to be ice creamish. The color was pretty, wasn't it?

Wednesday, August 18, 2010  
Blogger Ms Brown Mouse said...

I remember my parents drinking Mateus, I took an empty bottle to school once, for a bring-something-foreign-to-school day, got the "eye" from the teacher :)

Thursday, August 19, 2010  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Ms Mouse, I know that eye so well! I once reported about a musical play my parents had taken me to see the night before - "Damn Yankees" - and I got the "eye," of course.

Thursday, August 19, 2010  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

If you want them to stop giving you the eye, try wagging your hips. Don't stop, even when they notice you.
"It's me or you, bitch. I've got the estrogine."

Thursday, August 19, 2010  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Oh. "estrogen"
Flunk me sister. You know you want to.

Thursday, August 19, 2010  
Blogger Zoomie said...

With nuns, the eye gets worse if one is defiant. Next comes the trip to see Mother Superior, the recommendation to go the confession and, in Newfoundland, the corporal punishment.

Yeah, you flunked spelling. So what?

Thursday, August 19, 2010  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Long story coming about Lancer's and it's origins.

An exec from Heublein (who worked for my dad after the exec had moved on from the liquor house) was vacationing in the Azore Islands off Portugal and was introduced to a 'lesser' wine of the islands that was sold in earthen-ware bottles.

As you might recall that with some inspired marketing Hueblein had a winner on their hands marketing swill as an upscale wine in the those very distinctive brown bottles they we came to letch after if you are of a certain age, of course!

Ah! the fun of knowing ... the rest of the story!

MB

Thursday, August 19, 2010  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home