Sunday, August 8, 2010

Attitude Adjustment

Tiger-striped with sweet-hot sauce, this salmon was a wonderful soother for My Beloved, who had dragged in from The Week From Hell at work, starving and frustrated and ready to call it quits.

While I would be happy to have him cut back or even retire fully, I don't want him to do so on such a sour note. So, when he called from the road to explain what a crappy day and week he had had, I was glad I had some lovely salmon on hand.

Cousin Jan introduced us a while back to Sartain's Menu Sauce, a locally made sweet-hot sort of sauce that works equally well on chicken, meat and fish. I liberally painted both sides of a fillet of salmon and set it aside for about half an hour while I prepped the rest of the meal, then grilled it, non-skin side down first, on the Jenn-Air (I have despaired of having a summer this year so didn't haul out the barbecue and brave the 60-degree, windy evening). After about five minutes, I flipped it to the skin side and let it rip for another five minutes or so, until it was sizzling happily where the skin meets the flesh. My Beloved likes his fish rare, so I cut it down the middle and slid his off the skin, leaving mine to obtain near-opaque perfection.

By the time he had worked his way through grilled corn, tiger salmon, green beans and cherry tomatoes, his attitude had swung back toward the cheerful again. He's a resilient soul.

Labels: ,

9 Comments:

Blogger cookiecrumb said...

That sounds like a perfect summer supper. Even if you had to hole up in the igloo to enjoy it.

Sunday, August 08, 2010  
Blogger Ms Brown Mouse said...

Food bounces blokes back, don't you find. Magical roast chicken did it for Mr Brown this very evening. So glad salmon did it for your fellow :)

Monday, August 09, 2010  
Blogger Greg said...

A wonderful meal waiting at home after a hard day.Splendid!

Monday, August 09, 2010  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Cookiecrumb, loved the igloo comment!

Ms Mouse, yes, it does seem to do so - blood sugar levels or something. Maybe the TLC. For whatever reason, it works like a champ.

Greg, thanks. I think he thought so, too.

Monday, August 09, 2010  
Blogger James Sartain said...

I never thought of a Tiger Salmon. looks great. I shall add that to my recipe page, if you don't mind.

Monday, August 09, 2010  
Blogger James Sartain said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

Monday, August 09, 2010  
Blogger Zoomie said...

James, welcome! I'd be flattered!

Tuesday, August 10, 2010  
Blogger James Sartain said...

Thank-you, check it out http://www.sartainsmenu.com/recipes/view/zoomies_tiger_salmon/

Wednesday, August 11, 2010  
Blogger Zoomie said...

James, wow, thanks! Hope it spurs some additional sales for you.

Thursday, August 12, 2010  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home