Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Sauce For The Goose

I'm continually amazed by the connective power of the internet. I posted a few months ago about a bean soup recipe I got from my cousin Jan who lives in Petaluma. That post was read by a person in England who knew the family that makes Sartain's Menu sauce in Petaluma and sent the post back to them. It was they who had given the bean soup recipe to Jan in the first place!

We all got a kick out of the travels the recipe had taken but I had never tried the sauce; it was listed in the ingredients but I didn't have any and hadn't tasted it.

When she came over last week, Jan brought a bottle of the sauce, so I'm ready for the next cold day to make the soup. In the meantime, we spread it over hamburgers to delicious effect. The sauce reminds me of teriyaki sauce except the ginger kick is replaced with a hum of chipotle heat.

We plan to try it on steaks, chicken, fish - whatever we are eating seems likely to be improved by this mild chipotle chili sauce with garlic and tequila.

Made right nearby in Petaluma, the sauce has many uses, according to the bottle - maybe even sauce for the goose and the gander. If you are looking for something to liven up a summer meal, helly on down to your local store and ask for Sartain's. I gather they have a marinade as well as this sauce - maybe I'll try that next.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Greg said...

There's a find! Gonna check it out.

Wednesday, June 09, 2010  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Sounds yummy. I checked all over their website but found no list of ingredients. Think there's gluten in it? "Modified food starch"? Wheat?

Wednesday, June 09, 2010  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Greg, I think you'll like it. We've had it on steak and burgers so far - chicken is next!

Cookiecrumb, oooooh, I bet MFS is wheat-based. If I meet the Sartains, I will ask them for you. In the meantime, use it judiciously!

Thursday, June 10, 2010  
Blogger Toons said...

well as it turns out there is wheat in soy sauce, and there is a bit of soy sauce in THE SAUCE. Nothing to be done about it sorry.

Wednesday, June 16, 2010  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home