Sunday, May 30, 2010

Inviting Controversy

If you don't like chicken livers, avert your eyes from the photo and come back tomorrow.

If you don't care for rosemary, see you domani!

That is, unless you want to surprise yourself with one of the most amazing combinations ever to cross your lips - chicken livers and rosemary.

I found the basic idea
for this recipe - chicken livers skewered with rosemary and gently sauteéd in butter - at epicurious.com, where it's about the second item that pops up when one types in "chicken livers." Most of the rest are either mousse, paté or chopped liver recipes. This one seemed intriguing to me, so I decided to try it with the chicken livers I found at Baron's Meats in Alameda, but with some changes of my own to make it even better.

First, I went next door to beg some 6" sprigs of rosemary from my neighbors' thriving plant - rosemary grows practically wild around here and everyone is glad if you'll prune their bushes a bit. Following the recipe, I cleaned and divided the chicken livers into lobes, then soaked them in milk in the fridge for an hour. While they were soaking, I got busy stripping the leaves from the rosemary stems so I had about 5" of bare stem with a tuft of leaves left at the top. Set those aside.

Next - and this is the part I added - I sauteéd in a wide frying pan two garlic cloves gently in generous butter, then added four good-sized mushrooms, sliced in thick slices, and sauteéd them in the same pan. I set aside the mushrooms to cool, reserving the pan for later.

When the soaking time was up, I rinsed the livers, threaded them alternately with the mushrooms onto the skewers, about two mushroom slices and two livers per skewer depending on the length of the skewer. Be sure to leave an inch or so of the stem uncovered; if you pick them up to turn them by the tuft end, everything slides off - you need that extra inch to grab hold with tongs or fingers when flipping.

Reheating the same buttery, garlicky, mushroomy pan, l laid in the skewers carefully to sauté on medium high heat until the rosemary softened and the livers were just barely done, still pink in the center. Sadly, the rosemary didn't keep its bright green color but, heavens! what a taste sensation it made! From the first bite, My Beloved was nodding while chewing and meeting my eyes with that "Baby, I love the way you cook" look that melts my heart.

This was easily the best thing I have cooked in a month of Sundays. If you like chicken livers and rosemary, run don't walk to your nearest purveyor and get 'em while the getting is good. I'm already thinking I'll make these again next week. If you don't like chicken livers or rosemary, what are you doing still reading?

Labels: ,

9 Comments:

Blogger Greg said...

Call me fickle! I love all sorts of pates and liverwurst but not sauteed liver. Your flavorings sound wonderful. It would make a nice pate;)

Sunday, May 30, 2010  
Blogger Unknown said...

Just another suggestion for chicken liver lovers...Marin Joe's makes a pasta "Caruso" which is covered with chicken livers and mushrooms in a sauce. Very rich, but very tasty. I'm sure it could be recreated at home.

Sunday, May 30, 2010  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

It sounds very sophisto, but very grandmere at the same time. The best way to eat.

(You get the Nueske's?)

Sunday, May 30, 2010  
Blogger Nancy Ewart said...

That's a beautiful photo - worth of Epicurious.

Sunday, May 30, 2010  
Blogger Buzz Baylis said...

I am looking forward to an Alameda excursion soon to pick up another 'round.'

MB

Sunday, May 30, 2010  
Blogger Ms Brown Mouse said...

I'll come back tomorrow :)

Sunday, May 30, 2010  
Blogger Louis la Vache said...

«Louis» read to the end, because:
1) he likes chicken livers
2) he likes rosemary

This sounds delightful!

Sunday, May 30, 2010  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Greg, maybe it's a texture thing with you?

Janie, must try next time I go to Marin Joe's. They make really good calf's liver and onions, too.

Cookiecrumb, indeed I did - stand by for a rapturous report.

Nancy, funny you should admire that one - I figured everyone would be grossed out by the raw livers...

Buzz, and maybe you'll be well enough to go with me this time! Wouldn't that be great???

Ms Mouse, I promise you'd like this if you like paté - the flavor was mild.

Louis, vraiment délicieux - there's something about rosemary and chicken livers that simply belong together.

Monday, May 31, 2010  
Blogger peter said...

Those flavors would make an excellent terrine, all layered together. Not that it's really necessary. It just makes the wheels turn.

Friday, June 04, 2010  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home