Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Razzleberry Scones

There are scones and then there are SCONES. I have had ones so delicious that they literally melt in the mouth and others that resembled doorstops more than foodstuffs.

The best scone I ever tasted, all light and buttery, was at Tal-y-Tara, a quirky little tea shop-cum-horse tack shop in San Francisco; I haven't yet plucked up the courage to ask them for their recipe.

But I was in the mood for scones the other day and didn't relish the sinkers they sell at Starbucks, so I decided to make my own using some raspberries I had purchased at the farmer's market last week and, once again, Molly Wizenberg's recipe, substituting fresh raspberries and lemon zest for the ingredients in hers.

I quickly froze the berries so they wouldn't get squashed while kneading the dough; they kind of did anyway, but it doesn't seem to have hurt them at all. I also sprinkled the tops with just a smidge of turbinado sugar before they went into the oven. The resulting scones were very satisfying, bumpy and fruity and substantial. These are SCONES!

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Kailyn said...

I am lazy and just buy the ones made by Sconehenge either at Berkeley Bowl or Andronico's.

Wednesday, May 26, 2010  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Good gracious, that photo looks like an exhibit at the Smithsonian! Very eerie and beautiful.
I'm not saying your scones are hard as moon rocks, but they have an otherworldly glow.

Wednesday, May 26, 2010  
Blogger Nancy Ewart said...

Just reading about them makes me drool. I'll bet that you could start a second career, selling these at your local Farmer's Market.

Wednesday, May 26, 2010  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Kailyn, these are so easy and made with stuff one always has in the house, that I can have these without even changing out of my jammies.

Cookiecrumb, I thought so too - looks like I Photoshopped it in for visual punch but I didn't. Eerie is a good word.

Nancy, yes, but then I'd actually have to work at it, wouldn't I? And I've grown so lazy since I retired that I'd never keep up with the demand.

Wednesday, May 26, 2010  
Blogger Buzz Baylis said...

So much better than store boughts!

Thursday, May 27, 2010  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home