Wednesday, May 19, 2010

The Devil Made Me Do It

It's not my fault - the devil made me buy this ripe tomato from afar. My Beloved had purchased a nice big round of fresh mozzarella, no doubt dreaming of warm weather - which seems fickle here this year - so when the devil leaned over my left shoulder and whispered, "Caprese salad, honey," I caved.

We don't have basil this year - it doesn't like our combination of scouring sea winds and neglectful watering, so instead I planted a hardier bunch of herbs - dependable chives, fuzzy sage in its own fur coat, down-and-dirty thyme and determined oregano. I used a drizzle of balsamic vinaigrette and a sprinkle of the fresh oregano from the garden to dress the salad.

It was devilishly good.

Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger Greg said...

Devilishly good!

Wednesday, May 19, 2010  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Did you share? Or did you each get a whole one? :D

Wednesday, May 19, 2010  
Blogger Buzz Baylis said...

A whole stack for each of us!

Wednesday, May 19, 2010  
Blogger Nancy Ewart said...

When the devil whispers into your ear about something so good, who are you to disobey?

Wednesday, May 19, 2010  
Blogger Ms Brown Mouse said...

Those sort of whispers come from Good Faries, not Devils!

Thursday, May 20, 2010  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Greg, oh, yeah!

Cookiecrumb, Buzz ratted me out.

Buzz, see my comment to CC.

Nancy, exactly! I'm so glad you understand.

Morgan, the Good Fairies only whisper stuff like that when it's in season locally. The Devil knows I should wait patiently for two more months for ripe tomatoes, rather than buy them from afar.

Thursday, May 20, 2010  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Well, I would want a whole one for myself!

Thursday, May 20, 2010  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home