Tuesday, May 11, 2010

A Friendly Face

I met our dear friend Sari (rhymes with Mary) shortly after arriving in California. She and three other people did my screening interview for a job as a career counselor at University of California Hastings College of the Law. Hers was the only friendly face in the room; the others were studiously impartial and gave no hint by their expressions or body English of how I was faring. Sari was different - her smile was encouraging and urged me to do my best.

I landed the job.

Because I was hired, I was welcomed into a work group that formed the nucleus for many of my friendships in the bay area. Despite the fact that I'm 20 years their senior, these bright, amazing people welcomed me as a friend rather than just a colleague and have remained friends ever since, even though our lives took us in different directions. They tease me gently about how swoony My Beloved and I are about each other but defend me hotly whenever anyone is rude to me. I have frequently thought that if I had a daughter, I'd want her to be just like Sari. And Irene. Or both.

They know about my love of cooking, so this year's birthday presents were almost entirely cooking-related, three books that I'm enjoying (more about those later) and this goofy melamine spoon.
It makes me smile each time I reach for a spoon or just catch a glimpse of it out of the corner of my eye. It works a treat and, best of all, it has a friendly face.

They say you should tell your loved ones that they are loved, so here goes: Sari, I love you and I thank you for all the nearly 15 years of fun and shared times we've had together. Oh, and thanks for that friendly face!




Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger Greg said...

That spoon brightens up the whole room. :)

Tuesday, May 11, 2010  
Blogger Louis la Vache said...

Beautiful, Zoomie!

Tuesday, May 11, 2010  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Greg, it does, doesn't it?

Louis, thanks. It's easy to write when the sentiment is heart felt.

Wednesday, May 12, 2010  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

I would buy that spoon in a minute. So happy-making.
I have a smiley-face bottled-water cap-remover which I don't even use; just had to have it for the CUTES.

Wednesday, May 12, 2010  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Cookiecrumb, you and me both, with the cutes.

Thursday, May 13, 2010  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home