Sunday, May 2, 2010

Off-Brand Barbecue Sauce

We are not huge fans of bottled barbecue sauces. Too sweet. Too tomatoey. Too fake-smoky. I usually concoct something, with mixed results. This time, however, I made a wonderful sauce to paint onto a chicken before barbecuing, so I thought I'd share it with you. It's actually pretty funny to see all the name brands that went into this no-brand sauce.

The proportions are entirely up to you - this is one of those add-and-taste-and-add-more recipes. I'll give you the approximate amounts but, really, you should just taste as you go and stop when it reaches your own definition of nirvana.

2 Tablespoons Deborah's Hot Cranberry (this is like cranberry sauce with a kick of peppers)
1 teaspoon Mrs. Dash original flavor
1 heaping Tablespoon Edmond Fallot Dijon mustard
1 scant quarter cup of Heinz apple cider vinegar
1 heaping teaspoon Simply Organic garlic powder
4-5 dashes of Triple T Ranch Hopn' Jalapeno sauce
2 Tablespoons Heinz tomato ketchup
1/4 cup The Persimmon Branch Apple Butter (from a trip to North Carolina - substitute your own)

I wish I had thought to add a little coffee leftover from breakfast, just for fun, but I didn't. Maybe next time.

Whisk all the ingredients together and paint your chicken liberally. Indirect cooking would likely be better than the direct heat I used, but the blackened skin really did taste wonderful with this sauce over it.

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger Amy said...

I love it. We also prefer sauce made at home. I swear in of our favorites has cranberry sauce and Heinz 57 sauce.

Thanks

Sunday, May 02, 2010  
Blogger Greg said...

Sounds so good. You have your own little science lab going on there

Sunday, May 02, 2010  
Blogger Nancy Ewart said...

Who needs gourmet bottled spices - we can just follow Zoomie into barbecue bliss. I don't have a barbecue pit or even a hibachi but I certainly can bake something using this recipe. I still think you should collect these posts into a book; you can do it via blogger for minimal cost. Then, think of all the friends that you can give them to. "Cooking with Zoomie" - has a certain ring to it.

Sunday, May 02, 2010  
Blogger Louis la Vache said...

So, «Louis» takes it the refrigerator is cleaned out now...

";-D

Sunday, May 02, 2010  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Amy E, welcome. Now that's an interesting recipe for sauce!

Greg, once a science major, always a science major, I suppose.

Nancy, I should try that oven approach next winter when I'm dying for barbecue.

Also, I didn't know Blogger would publish one's ramblings - I wonder if many people do that?

Louis, sadly, no, most of those bottles went back in to await my next experiments. :-)

Monday, May 03, 2010  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home