Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Decaf Spice?

I love good coffee. In my view, a fragrant cup of coffee after a meal is better than dessert. Sadly, I become quickly "addicted" to caffeine and get nagging, three-day withdrawal headaches when I don't get my "fix." I have learned over the years to drink caffeinated coffee no more than three days in a row to avoid the nasty after effects of caffeine addiction. Decaf never tastes quite as good but I've found some that are awfully close to the high-test kind.

Most recently, I bought a pound of "Louis' " organic, fair trade Holy Cow Blend of decaf beans and, feeling that the addiction was looming after a few days of his excellent Mocha Java, I brewed a pot of the decaf for breakfast.

Holy Cow has a very interesting profile - distinctly spice. It's very light and clear in the cup, like smoky topaz gems. You can see all the way to the bottom of the cup. The most surprising thing to me is that it tastes of cinnamon. There is no cinnamon, really - it's just the beans - but I detected a whiff of cinnamon in every sip. Now, you're wrinkling your nose and thinking of cinnamon rolls but that isn't correct; there was no sweetness, just the scents of coffee and cinnamon.

I'm adding this blend to my anti-addiction rotation and looking forward to more spicy mornings.

5 Comments:

Blogger Greg said...

Ages ago I worked at a restaurant that added cinnamon to the ground beans. It created a unusual taste that everyone loved.The owner would not let us tell anyone.

Wednesday, April 28, 2010  
Blogger Louis la Vache said...

Zoomie, you've left «Louis» blushing again - but it's also nice re-inforcement for him to know that he chose his roaster well!

«Louis» also offers a Half-Caf, that is 50% "leaded" and 50% "unleaded".

Wednesday, April 28, 2010  
Blogger Ms Brown Mouse said...

A strawberry cup *swoons* (you knew I would)

Wednesday, April 28, 2010  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Greg, do you add cinnamon when you make coffee now?

Louis, I did notice the Half-Caf, but you should call it "Half-Calf" to go along with the La Vache theme. :-)

Morgan, yes, I knew you would. XOX

Thursday, April 29, 2010  
Blogger Louis la Vache said...

«Louis» has thought about the "Half-Calf" - but many people already make the association. Nonetheless, he may change it. He's adding a halo to his picture on the Holy Cow blends.

Monday, May 03, 2010  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home