Saturday, April 24, 2010

Spirit Raiser

When My Beloved spies something as we are driving along, he will often pull over or make a quick U-turn to go back and see it again. He relishes doing this without warning and without explanation. It used to bug me, frankly, but I have learned after many years together to anticipate something fun when he suddenly wheels the car around. I suppose if we are ever in a fatal accident, I will go to heaven with a smile on my face, expecting something delightful.

This time, he spotted the Good Humor man in Madison, Connecticut. Papa Joe has been doing this for 21 years, ever since he bought the truck. He travels the neighborhoods ringing his bell with his dog in the foot well, selling ice cream and improving moods wherever he goes. He has framed newspaper articles on the back side of the truck, including pictures of celebs who have enjoyed his nostalgic hobby.

He sells upscale ice cream these days, Häagen-Dazs and Dove bars as well as creamsicles, Klondike bars and Good Humors. He even does parties - now that's a great idea! I'd love to have the Good Humor man come to my next birthday party. The dog seems a little bored with the whole thing but Papa Joe retains his enthusiasm even after all these years.

I never know what to expect when My Beloved makes these sudden detours but for a spirit raiser like this, I'm happy to be surprised.

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Greg said...

That looks like a job for me! I have the same habit as your hubby, especially if it is the Oscar Meyer Wiener Mobile.

Saturday, April 24, 2010  
Blogger Ms Brown Mouse said...

And now I know who the Good Humour Man is.

Saturday, April 24, 2010  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Greg, I've only seen the Wiener Mobile once, and that was in a museum. Wonderful vehicle!

Morgan, an icon of American childhood. I still love finding an ice cream truck of any description but to find the honest-to-goodness Good Humor man was a treat.

Sunday, April 25, 2010  
Blogger Louis la Vache said...

Funny that you should post this - «Louis», for whatever reason, was having a flashback memory to the '53 Chevy popsicle trucks cruising the streets of his childhood Lubbock, TX - and here's your post!

Those trucks were painted Creamsicle orange...

Sunday, April 25, 2010  
Blogger Buzz Baylis said...

Zoomie

It is always a treat when I can bring a smile.

:-* MB :-*

Monday, April 26, 2010  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Louis, fun to have orange trucks - ours were always just like this one, white. I assume because they were converted from dairy trucks like the milkman used to drive. Can you remember the milkman?

Buzz, you do that more than you know.

Monday, April 26, 2010  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home