Friday, April 16, 2010

Comstock Lode

Knowing that we were headed for Carson City, a town first established because of silver mining in the area of Virginia City, our pal Chilebrown advised us to visit Butler Gourmet Meats on the main drag in Carson for the best in meats to bring home. He described it as the Mother Lode of meats. Knowing that our pal Chilebrown is a serious meat expert, we complied. Between wedding festivities, we searched out Butler and drooled a bit on their cases.

If one can ever call a butcher shop "lovely," Butler meats fits the description. Scrupulously clean and staffed with eager helpers, it is a pleasure to do business there. Asking a few questions, I discovered that, while their lamb is sourced locally, their other meats come from the Midwest and their chickens from Petaluma, which is close to my home so I decided to purchase only meats they cured or sourced locally. We bought three items to bring home - bacon burgers, barbecued pork ribs, and Comstock bacon.

Behold the bacon.

My lunch was a poached egg on wheatberry bread with a slice of the heavenly Comstock bacon sandwiched between the egg and the toast. I fried the bacon lightly in a pan first (the curing doesn't cook it), then laid it on the toast while I filled the same pan with water and poached my egg. Comstock bacon is cured the same way as regular rasher bacon, but it's much leaner, more like Canadian bacon with just a frill of fat running through. It is hickory smoked, maple cured and nitrate free. All that care is evident in the flavor. It is smoky and rich, with just a hint of maple sweetness - pure pig brought to its highest aspiration.

I hummed with anticipation as I made my lunch and m-m-m-m-ed with appreciation when I took my first smoky, piggy bite. I struck it rich in the Comstock (bacon) lode.

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Louis la Vache said...

Well, you've gone and done it! You've made «Louis» drool over the keyboard with your description and left him VERY hungry for good bacon like you found there!

Friday, April 16, 2010  
Blogger Chilebrown said...

I am cooking up some Butler Bacon this afternoon.
We are going on a mini meat adventure today. We are going to Cafe Rouge meat market in Berkeley.

Friday, April 16, 2010  
Blogger Greg said...

Nice find. Food Gold found in Carson City!Hats off to Chilebrown.

Friday, April 16, 2010  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Very tempting, but not worth a drive solely for bacon, I'm afraid... Waaah. Jealous.
(Chilebrown: we love the Cafe Rouge meat market.)

Friday, April 16, 2010  
Blogger Chilebrown said...

Cookiecrumb, We just bought four pounds of Piedmnoteese beef. We did have to pay extra for the attitude. Cafe Rouge

Friday, April 16, 2010  
Blogger Ms Brown Mouse said...

Ooo, meat fever seems to have hit, the Brown Mice are off to the South Sydney Markets tomorrow on a bit of a meat adventure to visit the Urban Food Market chap (freerange bacon and some wagu beef) and a pasta sauce chap (rabbit ragu). I'm a tiny bit excited.

Friday, April 16, 2010  
Blogger Chilebrown said...

Oh my gosh1 Chile Colorado with Piedmontese beef. I think Cookiecrumb would even like this.

Zoomie, I make a sort of comstock bacon twice a year. You are on the list.

Saturday, April 17, 2010  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Louis, that's one of the risks of reading food blogs - slimey keyboards.

Chilebrown, yes, I enjoy that place, too. Good stuff!

Greg, yes, Chilebrown is fount of information regarding good meat stops.

Cookiecrumb, you're right - I wouldn't go just for the bacon (especially since I'm on Chilebrown's list now) but since we were there anyway... gotta do it!

Chilebrown, thank you for putting me on your list - can't wait!

Morgan, enjoy your outing and tell us about the results!

Sunday, April 18, 2010  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home