Saturday, April 10, 2010

Another Win-Win

Did you know that Massa also grows almonds? Well, duh, you'd think I'd have noticed this before but I was so focused on their delicious rice that I missed this entirely until last week when I stopped by their booth at the Marin farmer's market to pick up more rice. The man behind the counter had two enormous bags of almonds on either side of the rice, one of roasted and one of raw.

Yes, please!

I asked for half a pound of each, mixed in the same bag. We've been snacking on them all week. No salt, just plain, they are crisp and bright in flavor with a lighter texture than most almonds. The roasted ones are toasty and the raw ones are mellow. Simply to die for. Really, as good as the rice is, and that's saying a lot. We've had to restrict ourselves to a small handful to share before dinner, or we'd devour the whole pound in just a day or so.

I'm going to try making the rice with some onion, chicken broth and, at the last minute, tossing in some of the roasted almonds. Stand by for a review - I think it's going to be another win-win from Massa.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Greg said...

I have just got to drag myself to the farmer's market. So many treasures to find.

Monday, April 05, 2010  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Ooh! Sounds pilaf-y! Can't wait to hear how it came out.
Love those toasted almonds.

Saturday, April 10, 2010  
Blogger Ms Brown Mouse said...

Mr Brown is a maniac for the almonds, 10 a day cures everything apparently, so he eats double or more, just to be safe!

Sunday, April 11, 2010  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Greg, once you've gone to the market, it will no longer be a "drag." It's pure entertainment, especially for a guy with a photographic eye like you. All kinds of photo ops!

Cookiecrumb, yes, I'm thinking bumpy pilafish.

Morgan, I knew there was a reason I liked Mr. Brown, in addition to his gorgeous blue eyes.

Sunday, April 11, 2010  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home