Thursday, April 1, 2010

Something To Celebrate

Last week, I was whining about the discomforts of growing older; this week, I'm reminded of the joys.

My Beloved's daughter, who three years ago presented us with the so-charming granddaughter that I often rave about, called us over the weekend to say she is increasing again. The new baby is due in the fall. All is well in the various high-tech checkups that are so common today - nice to know all those ancient, mysterious processes are progressing as ordained. The parents have elected not to know the sex of the coming child - they want to be surprised.

The Mom-to-Be can't have alcohol now, but we certainly can! We arranged via text message and cell phone (aren't we just so techie these days?) an impromptu celebration with the baby's aunt, My Beloved's other daughter, and her main squeeze. We unwrapped our beautiful vintage flutes, cut up some baguette, opened a nice wedge of cheese, piled up some of the clementines that are so delicious this time of year, and toasted the new baby in fine style.

You can't see the cheese behind the bottle but it was really special, Batch 25 from Cowgirl Creamery it said on the wrapper. When I visited their site, it seemed most like the description of the Wagon Wheel cheese. It was semi-firm, aged and mild/mellow and went quite well with our favorite champagne.

We clinked and caught up on each others' doings while we drained the bottle and polished off the nibbles. It was a lovely interlude and, by the end, I was feeling pretty darn good about life in general.

Napoleon Bonaparte is quoted as saying, "I drink Champagne when I win, to celebrate…and I drink Champagne when I lose, to console myself." I should have had a glass of bubbly last week, too.

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger Louis la Vache said...

And what better Champagne than Veuve Cliquot to celebrate with? Yes, you could have spent more on Champagne with which to celebrate the good news, but in «Louis'» opinion there are few better regardless of price than the consistently good Veuve Cliquot. That fromage sounds wonderful, too!

Thursday, April 01, 2010  
Blogger Greg said...

Congrats! Real French Champagne! The good stuff fit for a celebration.

Thursday, April 01, 2010  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Ah, The Widow. My favorite too.
Congratulations! I think grandmotherhood is a lot better than motherhood. Well, I mean, not for your lovely girl... Lucky you.

Thursday, April 01, 2010  
Blogger Ms Brown Mouse said...

Congratulations to you all and the perfect way to celebrate, with some proper bubbles and lovely nibbles I second Cookie's comments, though I'd change grandmother to aunty!

Thursday, April 01, 2010  
Blogger Katie Zeller said...

That's one of (the many) things I like about champagne - so versatile. And one can never have to much...
Congrats to the family!

Friday, April 02, 2010  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Louis, I've had more expensive champagne in my life but none that tasted better than Veuve Cliquot - love the yeasty, rich flavor and the tiny, lively bubbles!

Greg, yes, I'm a champagne snob. Life's too short to drink cheap champagne.

Cookiecrumb, I am absolutely certain that grandmotherhood is the way to go, even for our lovely girl! Much more fun to spoil outrageously and have no responsibility.

Morgan, I've been the auntie for many years, now the granny. Both are good roles, lots of fun with minimal responsibilities.

KatieZ, yep, drink it when you're happy, drink it when you're sad - it improves all occasions. :-)

Friday, April 02, 2010  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home