Monday, March 29, 2010

Easter (Week) Eggs

Can you think of anything as versatile as eggs? I can't, and I suppose that's why I found myself with two dozen of the little beauties this week - I bought a dozen at Marin Sun Farms' butcher shop last weekend when we drove out to Point Reyes Station for fun and forgot that I had another dozen of organic eggs from a larger farm in the fridge.

So, I've been finding all kinds of ways to serve eggs, but this was easily the simplest and one of the best. Poached eggs on English muffins with sautéed mushrooms. One pan, ten minutes and you have dinner.

I sliced and sautéed the 'shrooms in a healthy pat of butter, then drizzled in a tad of lemon juice before spooning them on top of the toasted, buttered muffins. Added water to the same pan and poached the eggs once it had come to a boil. Slid them on top (it's all slippery - be careful!), salted, peppered and there you have it. Maybe shoulda wandered out to the herb patch for some fresh ones but I didn't. Served alongside a cold artichoke with lemon-mayo dipping sauce, spring dinner par excellence!

Labels: , ,

9 Comments:

Blogger Greg said...

Caution slippery eggs! ;)
Ya making me hungree girl

Monday, March 29, 2010  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

And meatless!

Can't see images on your blog today; must reboot.

Monday, March 29, 2010  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

OK, I got the photo. Stunning.

Monday, March 29, 2010  
Blogger meathenge said...

Easter? Already? Really? Sigh.

xo, Biggles

Monday, March 29, 2010  
Blogger Louis la Vache said...

You inspired «Louis» to make omelettes for Mme la Vache and himself tonight...

Monday, March 29, 2010  
Blogger Ms Brown Mouse said...

Yum, and that eggie looks almost cooked :)

Tuesday, March 30, 2010  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Greg, I should have a big yellow caution sign in the photo - the eggs and the mushrooms were both slippery!

Cookiecrumb, I love that color, don't you? Morgan will object, however.

Rev. Biggles, yep, got your baskets lined up yet?

Louis, Mme is a lucky lady!

Morgan, glad it didn't disgust this time. :-) Five more days until you get your baby! Squeeeee!

Tuesday, March 30, 2010  
Blogger Ms Brown Mouse said...

My bebe who likes scrambled eggies for breakfast, I'm told!
Not sure how long I'll keep that up, given I rarely bother with any breakfast myself, let alone one I've COOKED!

Thursday, April 01, 2010  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Morgan, I'm like you - don't want breakfast, really, I'm usually not hungry until brunch or beyond. I bet you'll make scrambled eggs for your new baby, however.

Thursday, April 01, 2010  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home