Sunday, March 21, 2010

Queen of Salad

We were sadly predictable children in some ways, turning up our noses at liver, spinach, etc. Sometimes, I look back and wonder where our mother found the patience to raise four of us with a Navy husband who was often away for long periods. I'd probably have drowned us all shortly after birth. She, however, was made of queenly stuff. A few silly kids were not going to defeat her!

So, when we refused to eat chicken livers, she always said with a regal smile, "Fine! All the more for me!" She sautéed them in butter with herbs, deglazed the pan with just a splash of white wine, got out her finest china and silver, and served them to herself over buttered toast points, clearly relishing every bite.

In the fullness of time, I discovered that she was right all along - chicken livers are really tasty. Sautéed with butter and garlic, then whirled in a blender, they make a fine paté. Cooked gently with mushrooms and onions, they are delicious over toast. They also make a great salad addition, served piping hot over the greens.

The ticket with chicken livers is, as with all liver, not to overcook them. Melt some butter in a sauté pan, and let it get pretty hot (but not browned or smoking), then add the livers. (Before cooking, I trim off the connective tissue and those mysterious white things). Don't crowd them in the pan or they will steam rather than caramelize. Sauté lightly until they are just done, still pink in the interior - they will feel still slightly soft. Decorate your already-dressed (vinaigrette is best) salad with a few of these little brown beauties, perhaps a crouton or two, and sit down to a meal fit for my mother, the queen.


Labels:

13 Comments:

Blogger Katie Zeller said...

My mother and I used to fight over the liver when she roasted a bird... I just made them, fried with bacon, onion, olive oil and Balsamic, tossed with pasta.... We get very good chicken livers, here. Funny, my father always ate the heart and gizzard, and I still won't eat either....

Sunday, March 21, 2010  
Blogger Kailyn said...

Once more, yum. And you have reminded me that I really want to go to Pican again. They have a dish they call Southern foie gras that I want to try. Yep. Chicken livers.

Sunday, March 21, 2010  
Blogger Greg said...

Your salad looks so tempting! I normally have a visual aversion to liver. If you make it into pate I'm all over it. Go figure?

Sunday, March 21, 2010  
Blogger Nancy Ewart said...

Sorry, but you can have your liver. I've tried fixing it several different ways but I find that if there's the slightest liver taste, I just don't like it.

Sunday, March 21, 2010  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Well done! And appetizing.

Sunday, March 21, 2010  
Blogger Louis la Vache said...

«Louis» thanks you for reminding him how good chicken livers, when not over-cooked, can be!

Sunday, March 21, 2010  
Blogger Ms Brown Mouse said...

Just yesterday Ms Pingu turned up her pretty little nose at some chicken liver. She ate up her dinner leaving the little liver bits to harden and stick to the bowl. Grrrr

Sunday, March 21, 2010  
Blogger AMIT said...

I think you love salads and you have different recipes of salads?

home jobs india

Monday, March 22, 2010  
Blogger Zoomie said...

KatieZ, yum to livers, ick to heart and gizzard. You and I are on the same page.

Kailyn, I should make my chicken liver paté recipe and post it - is good!

Greg, must be all the other flavors in paté that you like?

Nancy, oh, well, I like you anyway.

Cookiecrumb, happy spring!

Louis, not very expensive either, win-win!

Morgan, she knew they were overcooked and nasty. She's no dummy.

Amit, I suspect spam, not salad.

Monday, March 22, 2010  
Blogger Ms Brown Mouse said...

Zoomie, they were RAW! Looks like my spammer followed you, at least the spam is on message!

Monday, March 22, 2010  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Morgan, I'm surprised she left the raw liver - my cats would have licked the plate clean!

Yeah, if ya gotta have a spammer, at least s/he actually read my piece! :-)

Monday, March 22, 2010  
Blogger Nancy Ewart said...

Ah, it's nice to know that you like me for my wit, talent and personality and not for my taste in liver.

Monday, March 22, 2010  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Nancy, not to mention your writing skills!

Tuesday, March 23, 2010  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home