Wednesday, March 17, 2010

The Eating Of The Green

I'm as Irish as Paddy's pig. I love the idea of leprechauns and spirits. I enjoy potatoes and lamb and, of course, corned beef. Soda bread is in my blood. I like sentimental songs like "Danny Boy" and "When Irish Eyes Are Smiling." I enjoy spinning stories and naughty Limericks and I hope someday to visit Ireland, from whence came half of my heritage but, when it comes to drinking green beer, I draw the line.

First, I don't really like beer very much (except the beers I tried in Belgium, which are the best of the brewer's art). My Dad frequently had a beer after playing strenuous tennis and he'd let me have the first sip. I don't know how this ritual began but it is as old as my memories of my father - even as a small child I got the first sip of his beer - and I was always glad to surrender the rest of it to him after the first taste. Now, all these years later, the first sip of a beer still brings his memory back and makes me feel privileged.

But, not being a big beer lover, I tend to look for other ways to incorporate green into my St. Patrick's Day celebrations. One year, I bought Dad a green plastic derby that delighted him - he wore it while lustily singing "Irish Eyes" that year. This year, I have purchased a pair of green-tinted sunglasses with lenses shaped like shamrocks. And, although it's not strictly Irish, I'm serving this brilliant green Swiss chard with dinner this evening, probably lamb and potatoes, or perhaps corned beef.

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

5 Comments:

Blogger Louis la Vache said...

We're ALL Irish on St. Paddy's Day!

(Like you, «Louis» draws the line with green beer...)

Wednesday, March 17, 2010  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Louis, welcome to the fold, at least for today.

Wednesday, March 17, 2010  
Blogger Greg said...

Got to see those glasses! I am another Irish person who does not like beer. whiskey on the other hand??? I named my son Patrick so for sure we will celebrate.

Wednesday, March 17, 2010  
Blogger Louis la Vache said...

Re your question "do (I) still make pastries and breads?"

Not as often as I would like to. I really wish I could open a French-style boulangerie-pâtisserie.

Wednesday, March 17, 2010  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Greg, hmmm, I seem to recall that I have a bottle of Irish whiskey in the cupboard - may have to go seek it out tonight!

Louis, let me know when you do - I'll be your best customer! And, consider starting it in Point Richmond - we need just such a business here to complement the two coffee shops.

Wednesday, March 17, 2010  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home