Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Hottie

I'm very fond of hot dogs, a trait My Beloved shares but with far less fervor. I maintain it's because he doesn't use enough condiments on his hot dogs, but we've debated that hotly for nearly 15 years and I haven't detected any "give" on either side of the issue.

Anyway, I use almost any excuse to eat a hot dog - ball games, backyard barbecues, rainy days, sunny days - you get the drift. So, when I heard that Acme bakery makes hot dog as well as hamburger buns, I was all about buying those and stopping on the way home to pick up a package of hot dogs, as well.

Here's the result. I grilled the buns on the Jennair, boiled the hot dogs until they swelled and split, and added dollops of relish, Dijon mustard and June Taylor's celestial ketchup. My Beloved is a mustard purist who turns his nose up at further adornment to his dogs, the poor dear.

These buns are really special; I may be spoiled for all time. I've been known to take my own maple syrup to a pancake breakfast to get the real thing - does this mean I'll be carrying my own hot dog buns to future ballgames and backyard barbecues?

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Kailyn said...

I must admit that I'm rather a purist myself -- except for the occasional sauerkraut or jalapeno slices. The latter is my weakness at movie theaters. It's not that I don't like other condiments; it's just that mustard will always be my first choice.

Tuesday, March 09, 2010  
Blogger Greg said...

Hot dogs! Anywhere any time. I hope they sell the buns at the Ferry Plaza Acme. I think we are going to hit it this week.

Tuesday, March 09, 2010  
Blogger Nancy Ewart said...

If you do take your own hot dogs and Acme buns to the ball game, you'll probably have to fight people off. Those sound delicious - much much better than standard ball park food. I'm divided on the condiments part myself. Sometimes I just like them plain and other times, I can't pile the mustard, hot sauce, sauerkraut, etc. on high enough.
What can I say? I'm an artiste!

Tuesday, March 09, 2010  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Ever had a Chicago-style dog? A *surfeit* of condiments, to be sure, and a real juggling act with all those lumps inside the bun. But heavenly. Lotta flavor there.

Tuesday, March 09, 2010  
Blogger Ms Brown Mouse said...

I'm with your Beloved, mustard only, or perhaps if I could be bothered some crispy fried onions.
But only once a year, much to Mr Brown's disappointment.

Tuesday, March 09, 2010  
Blogger Louis la Vache said...

«Louis» loves hot dogs, too! He makes them the way he found them in Paris. Steam the dog. Take 1/3 of a sweet baguette (or the rustic baguette from Acme or La Farine). Split the baguette, spread the inside generously with Béchamel. Put the dog in, fill with grated gruyére and toast it until the cheese melts. It'll drive your gums right into a frenzy...

«Louis» is adding a link to your blog in his right side bar along with other area blogs.

Tuesday, March 09, 2010  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Kailyn, oooh, jalapeno or sauerkraut - you're adventurous with your dogs!

Greg, if they don't have 'em, ask for them and maybe they will next time.

Nancy, that artistic temperament comes in handy sometimes, doesn't it?

Cookiecrumb, no, I don't think so - I'll look it up on the interwebs and see...

Morgan, I'm on Mr. Brown's side in this one - it would be a sad year indeed that only saw one hotdog.

Louis, your chien chaud sounds très, très bon! Thanks for the linkie, friend! I'll add you to mine, as well.

Wednesday, March 10, 2010  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home