Friday, March 5, 2010

Consolation Prize

My Beloved's car was stolen. Never mind the shock at finding that it was stolen right out of our carport, not 20 feet from where we were watching TV. So brazen! My Beloved makes his living by driving about 600 miles per week, so it's not just his baby, it's his livelihood. It was there when I walked Cora at 6:30 before starting dinner prep; it was gone by 10:00 when I took her out for her last spin of the day. Of course, our ferocious watchdog slept through the whole event.

The police think we may get the car back, after the bad guys have had their wicked way with it, but in the meantime, we are making lists of all the contents of the car, spending a lot of time on the phone with our insurance company and becoming best friends with young cops in two counties. One of the items in the stolen car was My Beloved's FastTrack transponder so we know the thieves have been to Marin and Contra Costa counties so far. The bastards seem to be having quite a fine joy ride on our dime.

All this as prelude to a nifty discovery. After driving My Beloved to Berkeley to pick up his rental car, I stopped in at the Acme Bakery store just up the street to buy some bread for that evening's dinner and discovered that they make hamburger buns as well as more exalted forms of the baker's art.

I chucked all previous dinner plans and decided to make hamburgers. I bought several of the oven-fresh, fragrant buns and detoured to my favorite grocery store for a top round steak and a huge, ripe, heirloom tomato from Mexico. When one's car has been purloined, to hell with trying to be a locavore; we needed comfort food in the worst way!

I chopped the steak in my food processor, toasted the buttered buns on the Jennair grill, divided that beautiful tomato, sliced our last gorgeous avocado from Jeanne's Mom's garden and some red onion, and caramelized the burgers in a wide frying pan. Steam a few spears of asparagus, stack up those killer ingredients and take a huge bite! The buns were ever so much tastier, heftier and textured than the regular store-bought ones. They were actually functional as well as tasty, too; they didn't fall apart or become soggy. The loss of a wonderful car doesn't seem quite so bad when the juice from a nice, rare burger with all the trimmings is dripping down one's chin.

16 Comments:

Blogger Chilebrown said...

Man that Sucks!

Friday, March 05, 2010  
Blogger Greg said...

Wow that really does suck! I was sitting around ruminating over the fact that some virus ate my computer. That pales in comparison.Email me the description and plate number and I will keep an eye on Marin side of bridge.

Friday, March 05, 2010  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Chilebrown, yes, it sucks pond water.

Greg, I sent you the info on the car via email. Thanks for looking but it's truly a needle in a haystack, I'm afraid.

Friday, March 05, 2010  
Blogger Unknown said...

No good news yet, eh? Bummer. That's really funny about the FastTrack GPS! Good luck.

Friday, March 05, 2010  
Blogger Unknown said...

I seem to be signed in as Rob, when I am, in fact, Cookiecrumb. :D

Friday, March 05, 2010  
Blogger meathenge said...

Yikes! My truck was stolen the same way a few months ago. I was kinda shocked because it looks like hell with the fading clear coat. But it's only got 64k miles on it with brand new tires, kinda bummed to say the least.

It wasn't insured for theft, don't drive it more than 1k a year.

24 hours later it was found way down towards you, but in the nasty part of Richmond. It was completely fine, no forced entry and the ignition was unharmed. I'm guessing he dropped it because it only had about 1/8th of a tank of gas. And at 10mpg, that don't last long. The Richmond PD was even nice enough to call me and come pick it up! They didn't tow it!

I now pull the coil ignition wire so it won't start. They tried again a month ago, but my neighbor installed a motion-sensor light and they only got the door open.

There's hope!

xo, Biggles

Friday, March 05, 2010  
Blogger jumelager said...

I'm so sorry to hear that. I hope you get it back...the burgers do sounds delicious though that is a small consolation!

Friday, March 05, 2010  
Blogger Ms Brown Mouse said...

O dear, when it happens while you are there, awake, it's a bit freaky. Someone tried to steal my beloved mini, Scarlett, from the work car park once. She refused to cooperate with their hot-wiring attempts so all they got was a Fine Young Cannibals tape.
Fingers crossed the car gets back to you safe & undinged!

Friday, March 05, 2010  
Blogger Katie Zeller said...

Ah, ferocious, yet useless watch dogs.... Very familiar.
It's amazing how violated one can feel when something like this happens... And, of course reminds us to not keep important stuff in the car - which, of course we do.
I hope you get it back, unscathed, and all the stuff in it.
Meanwhile, the burgers should comfort nicely.

Saturday, March 06, 2010  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Rob/Cookie, yes, the only fun part has been following the FastTrak pass on the computer. It has stopped now so either they have thrown away the FastTrak pass or they have abandoned the car. Still waiting to hear...

Biggles, thanks for the hopeful story. We do love that car and it's worth far more to us than what the insurance company would give us, so we need all the hope we can get.

Jumelager, the burgers did make us feel quite a bit better! :-)

Morgan, is Scarlett a new Mini or a classic? And is she scarlet? I'm so glad they couldn't get her, the stinkers!

KatieZ, she slept through the whole incident! I might be angry at her but we heard nothing, either, and we were wide awake! Grrr!

Saturday, March 06, 2010  
Blogger Ms Brown Mouse said...

Scarlett was my first car, a jaffa orange 1975 Leyland Mini. I eventually sold her to my brother, who treated her badly and sold her for parts. When I found out I cried a little. I used to pat her bonnet every morning.
We had one of the new minis for a couple of years, but inner-city parking and paying 2 loads of insurance and registration seemed silly. Especially when one of the vehicles was only driven once a week!

Saturday, March 06, 2010  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Morgan, oh, ouch! Brothers! Who can do anything with them?? :-)

Sunday, March 07, 2010  
Blogger Ms Brown Mouse said...

Brothers indeed. Sigh, he turned out ok in the end I suppose, it' just takes longer with boys I think.

Sunday, March 07, 2010  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Morgan, yeah, mine are getting better now, too.

Tuesday, March 09, 2010  
Blogger Louis la Vache said...

«Louis» is sorry to read that your beloved's car was stolen. It seems that community next to both you and «Louis» is becoming more crime-ridden daily, and it spills over into adjacent communities.The police probably told you that Marin is a favored destination of criminals coming from the town mentioned above. In the same vein, police in Marin often look east for suspects for crimes committed in Marin, the ingress and egress of the criminals being facilitated by that bridge. Quell dommage!

«Louis» would have gone for the comfort food, too!

Tuesday, March 09, 2010  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Louis, thanks for the kind words. The police actually have a guy in custody, now, so perhaps there will be some justice. I do hope so!

Wednesday, March 10, 2010  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home