Saturday, February 20, 2010

Rose Radish

The last of my veggie gifts from the Civic Center farmer's market was a watermelon radish, so beautiful inside that I was stunned by the color when I sliced it open. Again, it was a new-to-me vegetable - I had seen them on other blogs but never tasted one, and somehow the reality is far more beautiful than any photograph can convey. In addition to the astounding color, the inside scintillates with moisture and texture - you have to see it to understand.

After admiring it for a while, I decided to serve it with unsalted butter and flaky sea salt, a simple preparation to showcase its beauty. When I pulled out my handpainted Tour d'Argent butter dish, for which I paid an outrageous number of euros last time I was in Paris, I was struck by how perfectly the colors matched, so I got a little artsy with the presentation.

The flavor is mildly radish, not as sharp as the cherry red-and-white ones; the butter adds richness and the salt adds savor. I will certainly serve this to guests, both for its interesting flavor and for the shock of its rosy beauty.

Labels:

11 Comments:

Blogger Kailyn said...

I usually avoid radishes because the taste is too strong for me but I might have to give these a try.

Saturday, February 20, 2010  
Blogger Unknown said...

I love the idea of a simple radish, butter and maybe a hint of salt. it feels provincial and european! i will keep my eye out for these.

Saturday, February 20, 2010  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Artsy indeed! That's food styling. You're stylin'!

Radishes and butter = yes. Good on a piece of rye, too.

Saturday, February 20, 2010  
Blogger Chilebrown said...

Thats pretty!

Saturday, February 20, 2010  
Blogger Greg said...

Simple,styled an oh so Francais! Well done.

Sunday, February 21, 2010  
Blogger Katie Zeller said...

I want both - the butter dish and the radish. Sadly, I can probably find the butter dish more easily than the radish. I don't think the French are into experimenting with their beloved breakfast radish.

Monday, February 22, 2010  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Kailyn, these are much milder - you might enjoy them. Also, the butter cuts the bite of even the sharp ones.

Blair, let me know what you think.

Cookiecrumb, I introduced the friends down in LA to radishes, butter and Maldon salt and they enjoyed them, too. Just the red and white ones, however, no rosy ones found at their local farmer's market.

Chilebrown, isn't it? I was charmed by my own handiwork. :-)

Greg, well, at least the butter dish is French - not sure where the preparation came from. See KatieZ's comment below - she lives in France.

KatieZ, What??? Breakfast radishes? That's a new one on my - in my several visits to France, no one offered me radishes for breakfast. My favorite French breakfast is last night's baguette with unsalted butter. How do they prepare the radishes?

Monday, February 22, 2010  
Blogger Ms Brown Mouse said...

I love everything about that picture and am now going to see if I can grow some of those wee radishes, so pretty.

Tuesday, February 23, 2010  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Morgan, they are lovely but not really wee. I'd say they are about 2" in diameter, like a round cracker just waiting to be topped with things.

Wednesday, February 24, 2010  
Blogger Ms Brown Mouse said...

zoomie, big? even better! (all the more butter)

Wednesday, February 24, 2010  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Morgan, you're my kind of gal!

Thursday, February 25, 2010  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home