Friday, February 19, 2010

'Snip Chips

Last week, I was given three nice parsnips as an experiment - I've never eaten them before*. My favorite guy in the Civic Center farmer's market insisted that I try them.

While I was peeling them, I bit off a small piece out of curiosity. Bland, a little fibrous, kinda meh. However, on the word of my veggie seller, I persevered.

I decided to start simply, so I peeled and sliced them, tossed them in a little olive oil and salt, and roasted them in a 350 degree oven for half an hour.

So far, so good; they were soft in the center but they looked like they could use a few minutes more to brown and crisp a bit. As you can see, I got distracted (again!) and nearly let them burn.

Rescued at the very last minute before immolation, they were delicious, similar to potato in texture, but sweeter and somehow smoother. We both loved them and will happily return to our favorite veggie seller - he was right, I'll be back and he can charge me double!

*After I wrote that, I got to wondering if it was precisely true so I did a "parsnip" search and discovered that I did post about parsnips twice before, once disastrously and once successfully. In the disaster, I couldn't taste their sweetness and in the success, the geniuses at Greens were responsible. Gotta get back to Greens soon to figure out how they did that!

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Anna Haight said...

We talked of meeting again at Greens, let's calendar it (early March?) These look good -- my grandfather brought these over by the boatload from his garden when I was small. It's what Europeans ate before there were potatoes over there! I hated them as a child, but love them now. I've liked them steamed in chicken broth and blended up... low fat and tasty too.

Friday, February 19, 2010  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

They're sort of "carrot-potatoes."

Friday, February 19, 2010  
Blogger Pamela Farr said...

Anna, I'm in LA on vacation but will send you an email when I get home to schedule that lunch! Good idea!

Cookiecrumb, exactly! You hit the nail on the head.

Saturday, February 20, 2010  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home