Tuesday, February 16, 2010

They're Back!

All winter, I've been tempted by fresh asparagus. They call to me, plump and softly green, each time I troll the vegetable aisle hungry for something new. They look so good but I know they come from somewhere in the southern hemisphere, shipped at great carbon expense. I wanted all that good flavor, but I just couldn't do it.

Today, when scanning the same aisles, I noted that this bunch was, at long, long last, from California!

They may have been grown a little south of here, so I probably broke the 100-mile radius rule for eating locally, but my willpower failed in the face of those lovely green spears. I never do anything fancy with the first asparagus of the season - no quiches, no Hollandaise, no risotto. The very first asparagus need nothing more than a gentle steaming and a reverent attitude.

As hungry as I was for asparagus, I'm even hungrier for spring;
tulips and daffodils may shout of spring but no louder than fresh, green asparagus. My calla lilies are up and budded but the flowers haven't opened yet. My irises are leafing up but still have no sign of flower stalks. But, if there is local asparagus in the stores, spring can't be far behind.

Labels:

9 Comments:

Blogger Greg said...

I'm ready for Spring. Bring it on!

Tuesday, February 16, 2010  
Blogger Kailyn said...

I got some asparagus this past week. As for Spring, I got to see it over this weekend. I miss it.

Tuesday, February 16, 2010  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Greg, amen to that!

Kailyn, tried to leave you a comment about your trip but it's too complicated for me to figure out how to leave a comment when I'm none of the options in the "From" column. Looked like a lovely hike, in any case, and I'm glad to see you are having a fine trip!

Tuesday, February 16, 2010  
Blogger Kailyn said...

Sorry about that. Blogger should be one of the log-in options.

Tuesday, February 16, 2010  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Don't get me started on the best way to cook asparagus. Because I have learned we all have our own very favorite ways.
Yay, spring.

Tuesday, February 16, 2010  
Blogger Ms Brown Mouse said...

I love the anticipation of Spring, and the first peeps.
PS, I roll the firs of the season in brown butter, mmmmmmmm

Tuesday, February 16, 2010  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Mouse: (Me too! Shh.)

Tuesday, February 16, 2010  
Blogger Chilebrown said...

I love Asparagus!

Happy belated Birthday!

Tuesday, February 16, 2010  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Kailyn, it worked this time!

Cookiecrumb, 'kay, I won't try.

Morgan, I'll try that next time - sounds scrumptious.

Chilebrown, me, too, and thanks!

Wednesday, February 17, 2010  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home