Saturday, March 13, 2010

Ironclad Excuse

He looks a little like a pheasant when viewed from above, but he's really a cocky little rooster. The decorative (and surprisingly functional), handle on the lid of my new Dutch oven.

I had been lusting after one of these for a long time, visiting them in the kitchen store, stroking their smooth enameled sides and murmuring about the beeeyoootifoool music we could make together but I needed a good excuse for spending that much money on a single pot. Ouch!

Also, which size? Did I want more than one small one, or one large enough to feed an army? The small ones are undeniably cute and we are only two here most of the time. The large ones weigh a ton and take up more storage space, but the lure of cooking once and having several yummy meals was irresistible.

The change in the weather back to winter was all the excuse I needed. My Beloved and I whisked out to the cooking store - on a day in which it rained, shone, hailed and sleeted all in the same few hours - to ponder colors and shapes briefly before choosing this lovely six-quart behemoth in silvery gray. It is oval in shape, so I'm imagining whole chickens in there or oblong loaves of bread or the perfect positioning those awkward lamb shanks. I'm also thinking that the oval shape will be easier to store in my already-cramped kitchen.

My head is full of enticing recipes and ideas, now that I've had my excuse. How does brown-braised lamb shanks with beans and alliums sound to you?

10 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Sounds good to me! These sorts of pots may be expensive but they will last you a lifetime! It's an investment piece that will pay for itself many times over. Hooray for beating the winter doldrums.

Saturday, March 13, 2010  
Blogger Greg said...

Oh no! Now I got to get one. Between you and cookiecrumb the seed of need is planted.

Saturday, March 13, 2010  
Blogger Louis la Vache said...

Sur-la-Table or Williams-Sonoma?
;-)
(«Louis» hasn't visited either one recently and doesn't remember seeing this brand in either store...)

Saturday, March 13, 2010  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

The handle is so great! Lucky you it's metal, because it will be oven-proof when you bake bread. Those plastic Le Creuset knobs eventually break.
Congratulations.

Saturday, March 13, 2010  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Blair, welcome, and thanks for the reassurance!

Greg, yeah, you need it. Not just want it, need it!

Louis, Sur La Table, bien sûr. Several shapes and colors available, as well as different shapes of knobs. I could have spent a fortune and, in fact, I nearly did!

Cookiecrumb, Le Creuset sells replacement knobs in metal. Pricey ($10 for a knob!), but might be worth it.

Saturday, March 13, 2010  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Did not know about the LC replacement knobs! I don't need one, but I'd pay $10 for a metal thingie if I needed it. Thanks for the info.

Saturday, March 13, 2010  
Blogger Ms Brown Mouse said...

The big ones are just perfect for lamb shanks, also for long slow cooking of chicken leg&thigh pieces (w mushrooms, tiny onions, bacon and red, red wine ♫♫♫♫)

Saturday, March 13, 2010  
Anonymous 8-year-old-boy aka morganmouse :) said...

*giggles* knobs, replacement knobs *giggles again*

Saturday, March 13, 2010  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

All right, where's my bleedin' Australia slang book?
Is a knob a weenie?

Sunday, March 14, 2010  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Morgan, eight year old boys aren't that clever! And yes to shanks.

Cookiecrumb, must be.

Sunday, March 14, 2010  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home