Sunday, March 14, 2010

From Paris With Love

When I went online to order a book, another one caught my eye. There seems to be a whole new genre of food writing these days, charming stories with recipes. In the past year, I've read Molly Wizenberg's A Homemade Life, Jason Epstein's Eating, Tara Austen Weaver's The Butcher and the Vegetarian and now Elizabeth Bard's Lunch in Paris. All were charming, well written, interesting glimpses into other food lovers' lives, and each had some wonderful-sounding recipes based on the stories in the books.

You'd like this one, especially if you are a Francophile like me. Elizabeth Bard knows how to grab the reader from the first sentence: "I slept with my French husband halfway through our first date." I'll admit that that one got my attention. She then goes on to describe the difference between French and American cultures in an amusing way that points out the foibles of each and emphasizes her respect for each, as well.

Her recipes sound good, too, and for the most part very easy and quick. I can tell this one will be well-thumbed in no time.

If you local readers would like to borrow it rather than buy it, let me know. I learned how to share back in kindergarten.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home