Thursday, April 8, 2010

Easter Treats

My father and I shared a delight in truly corny humor; whenever we got together, we'd unload all the "groaners" we had heard on each other and laugh while Mom sat by rolling her eyes and shaking her head. Now, when I hear a new corny joke, I always wish I could tell it to Dad.

Every year at Easter, I trot out with great delight my one and only Easter joke.

Q. What do you get when you pour steamy water down a rabbit hole?

A. Hot, cross bunnies!

I can hear him groaning and chuckling still. I can hear you, too.

Here are some better Easter treats, also a great delight, hot cross buns from Della Fattoria Café and bakery in Petaluma. We spied these on Easter Sunday when we went up to deliver cousin Jan's Easter basket, which the Easter Bunny had unaccountably left at our house. We all went out for Easter lunch and happened to find a spot at Della Fattoria's communal table, even though they were very busy and we weren't smart enough to reserve ahead of time. Without rushing their departing customers, the very helpful wait staff made room for us. We all had wonderful lunches although, sadly, I forgot my camera so they will be just a delicious memory.

For dessert, we shared a chocolate cupcake that was like Heaven's version of a Hostess cupcake. The rich chocolate icing, deep, dark devil's food cake and vanilla bean butter cream filling were so eye-glaze inducing that we three shared it and each felt completely satisfied.

Then, we noticed the hot cross buns on the counter and added several of those to our tab to enjoy at home. The inside of these humble brown buns is studded with tiny cubes of orange peel and dried currants, little islands of sweetness and flavor in the light, scented bread. The cross of icing is just enough to sweeten them without being cloying.

Della Fattoria means "from the farm" and everything they serve is fresh and made with the very best ingredients. The love shows, at Easter time and all year through. As we sat at the communal table idly chatting, I remembered to tell my Easter joke. Both My Beloved and cousin Jan make the same kind of groaning, chuckly noises as my Dad used to.

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Greg said...

Nice buns!

Thursday, April 08, 2010  
Blogger Louis la Vache said...

If it is of any relief to your guilt about liking "groaners", «Louis» can't resist them either...

Thursday, April 08, 2010  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Greg: Groan.

Thursday, April 08, 2010  
Blogger Ms Brown Mouse said...

You're going to love this one then.
What happens when you sit on a grape?
It makes a little w(h)ine.
Boom tish!
I love hot cross buns, I trust you had yours with lashings of butter!

Thursday, April 08, 2010  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

How do you make a hormone?
You tickle her just right.
Boom tish.

Thursday, April 08, 2010  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Greg, Cookiecrumb stole my thunder. Groan!

Louis, no one can resist - they just pretend to.

Cookiecrumb, apt.

Morgan, ouch. And, yes, lashings!

Cookiecrumb, oh, goodness! That one is _just_ Dad's style.

Friday, April 09, 2010  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home