Monday, April 5, 2010

Good Eggs

Easter has always been a favorite holiday for me. When I was a child, my sister and I got new dresses, usually the only party dresses of the year, to wear to church on Easter and my Dad always made a wonderful treasure hunt for us by composing rhyming clues using the most gawdawful doggerel to lead us to where he had hidden our Easter baskets. It was simple fun.

I still celebrate every year with an Easter basket for My Beloved (he is always surprised and never seems to see it coming!) and one for any other friends or family who happen to be around. The return of long, light days is a celebration all its own and the silly fun of baskets and chocolate bunnies is a treat not to be missed.

Easter celebrations have gotten a bit more elaborate these days and rarely do they involve church going or new dresses, but they are essentially the same simple fun as before. Since our granddaughter is visiting, we got to dye hard boiled eggs and to watch her hunting for Easter eggs hidden all around the living room since it was raining cats and dogs outside. Hers were plastic eggs with just a very few jellybeans or "goldfish" crackers inside.

She learned quickly to shake them and, when the distinctive rattle of jellybeans was detected, she stopped to open the egg and eat the jellybeans. When the sound said "goldfish," she moved on to the next egg. Egged on by adoring adults,
she ended up with a basket full of color for an Easter she won't soon forget.


Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Shoulda filled them all with goldfish, or carrot sticks, or... And then give her a handful of jellybeans at the end.
(I know. One unhappy baby. I'm mean.)

Monday, April 05, 2010  
Blogger Ms Brown Mouse said...

Wot no chocolate??
I'm in trouble with Mr Brown for insufficient chocolate. Apparently what I got was very nice, but not enough of it! I'd chasten him with the price only then I'd be in more trouble :)

Monday, April 05, 2010  
Blogger Greg said...

I'm not sure who has more fun on Easter the kids or the adults. Sugar rush Woot!

Monday, April 05, 2010  
Blogger Louis la Vache said...

What a great memory you have of Easter with your father. Priceless.
;-)

Monday, April 05, 2010  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Cookiecrumb, y'know, I think that's what I'd have done, too, but Mother Knows Best when it comes to handling three year olds. And I have zero standing since I've never had children of my own. :-)

Morgan, she did get one or two peanut butter cups, which she relished most of all.

Greg, I think it's the adults who win because we have all the anticipation and preparation, which is more than half the fun.

Louis, oui, mon père was very special. I still miss that old guy and he's been in heaven for more than 10 years.

Tuesday, April 06, 2010  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Louis, and, when she's a little older, I'll keep his tradition of rhyming clues alive. :-)

Tuesday, April 06, 2010  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home