Monday, April 12, 2010

Rice-a-Zoomie

I don't suppose I am the very first person to invent this rice dish, so I probably haven't really earned naming rights, but I'm so gosh-darn proud of it that I'm claiming it anyway.

It's pretty simple, really, just green garlic sauteéd in butter, then tossed with Massa brown rice, which are then cooked in water for about 50 minutes before being tossed with just about two tablespoons of homemade bacon bits and whole, roasted Massa almonds.

You gotta serve it quick-quick as the almonds quickly re-absorb water and lose their crisp crunch; the flavor is still wonderful, of course, but the snap is lost. I love snap, so I had the rest of the meal ready to go before stirring in the bacon and almonds.

Smoky and ever-so-slightly-salty from the bacon with savory undertones from the green garlic, this rice as serious temptation to eat 'way too much. We had to quickly slip the rest into the fridge for a subsequent meal or My Beloved and I would have simply stood over the pot with our forks and competed with each other for bites of Rice-a-Zoomie.

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Louis la Vache said...

It sounds delicious! And why not call it Rice-A-Zoomie? "Rice-A-Roni" made someone rich, so why not you? ;-)

Monday, April 12, 2010  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

That's just lovely. I'd like some.
I wonder if you chopped the almonds and sizzled them in some oil or butter first, if they wouldn't get soggy.
Brava.

Monday, April 12, 2010  
Blogger Greg said...

Rice-A-Zoomie the San Francisco Treat! We have to get your name on the side of a cable car.

Monday, April 12, 2010  
Blogger Nancy Ewart said...

What a clever name and what a delicious sounding recipe. But you have more willpower that I do - I'd be eating out of the pot until it was empty!

Monday, April 12, 2010  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Louis, yeah, why not me? :-D

Cookiecrumb, I thought about that idea but since they were already roasted, I thought they might retain their snap. They did, briefly. Next time!

Greg, I can see it now!

Nancy, believe me, it was seriously tempting to eat it all.

Tuesday, April 13, 2010  
Blogger Ms Brown Mouse said...

We would have eaten it all *oink*

Thursday, April 15, 2010  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Morgan, we were seriously tempted!

Sunday, April 18, 2010  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home