Saturday, April 17, 2010

A Fortuitous Mistake

The other day, My Beloved and I were vegging in front of the television, catching an episode of "Follow That Food." Gordon Elliott was watching Paula Deen make beer biscuits, so we watched, too. Onscreen, Paula used just three ingredients, Bisquick, beer and sugar; the host remarked on how light they were.

Well, we were having leftover beef stew from the freezer for dinner and what's better with beef stew than biscuits? I was inspired to hop up, rush out to the kitchen, and make the same recipe. The biscuits in my past have been anything but light, so I was hopeful that these beer biscuits would be da bomb.

I estimated the amounts, since Ms. Deen didn't give exact measurements on the show. I scooped out two cups of Bisquick, added a scant 1/4 cup of sugar, stirred those two together thoroughly, then stirred in enough beer to make the dough look approximately as hers did. The stirring was very brief, just enough to incorporate all the dry ingredients into the beer. I buttered the muffin cups and dropped the dough into the cups to fill them about 3/4 full.

I used a hot oven, 400 degrees F, and baked them until they were golden brown, about 15 minutes or so. They emerged from the oven as light as dandelion down with a crisp top and a soft crumb inside. Utterly perfect spread with honey butter and served with our beef stew. We shared the rest of the bottle of beer with dinner.

While I was making them, My Beloved went online to Ms. Deen's site and, lo and behold, there was the real recipe! It turns out, she uses melted butter, too, which they didn't show on TV, so I didn't add and we didn't miss. I probably won't bother since the biscuits are obviously lower in fat without it and, frankly, when you smear each bite with honey butter, you are getting all the fat you could possibly want.

You really don't need a recipe for these biscuits, nor for the honey butter. To make that, all you do is whisk into softened, room temperature butter as much honey as your taste buds tell you is perfect - it takes just a few seconds.

I should learn not to fly by the seat of my pants when attempting recipes for the first time but, honestly, the success experience I had probably won't teach me a thing. It was a fortuitous mistake that encourages experimentation, and one I plan to repeat often.


Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Louis la Vache said...

«Louis» has made those beer biscuits - and they ARE good!

Stay tuned - «Louis» is going to put a new section in his sidebar for food blogs...

Saturday, April 17, 2010  
Blogger Greg said...

Going to investigate if I get Gordon's show on our cable. I thought he was just a producer now. I loved his door knock dinner show.Bravo on the biscuits BTW!

Saturday, April 17, 2010  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

I think the lesson searned is that you CAN do it by the seat of your pants. How lucky, intuitive, etc. Brava.
The biscuits sound yummy, but there's no pancake mix in my pantry. (Well, then there's the wheat thing...)

Saturday, April 17, 2010  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

LEARNED. not searned. what does that mean?

Saturday, April 17, 2010  
Blogger Ms Brown Mouse said...

what is bisquick? (too lazy to google)

Saturday, April 17, 2010  
Blogger Louis la Vache said...

«Louis» added a new link list for Foodie blogs, so he moved Zoomie Station to that list from the San Francisco Bay Area blog list.

Saturday, April 17, 2010  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Louis, fun idea to add the sidebar - I'll check it out as soon as we get home.

Greg, these may be re-run shows - not sure - I haven't seen the door knock dinner show. Sounds like fun.

Cookiecrumb, I actually thought of you when I made them and thought, "Rats, Cookiecrumb can't eat these."

Morgan, it's flour mixed already with baking powder, I think? Not entirely sure myself. A staple in pantries in America.

Sunday, April 18, 2010  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home