Monday, April 26, 2010

Coffee Klatch

Since I began blogging a few years ago, I have sometimes met other bloggers, often for coffee. We foodies get curious about who is commenting our our deathless prose and we seem to like hot drinks, especially good coffee.

Part of our love for coffee klatch, I'm sure, is the native caution of meeting a stranger for the first time in a neutral place; no matter how charming their comments on our posts, the horror stories of online friendships lurk in the background.

So, off to Café Fanny I went to meet "Louis LaVache," a gentleman who lives nearby and writes engagingly flattering comments on my posts. We had a fun meeting, filled with tidbits about his interesting life - his career with a large supermarket chain, his time in France learning to be a bread baker, his lovely wife with whom he is obviously thrilled and his latest venture launching a coffee company. We sipped and chatted for more than an hour, trading marketing ideas for his business and getting acquainted.

I offered to taste test his coffees and write posts for the blog about them, if I liked them. He thought that was a fine idea, so I arranged to purchase two pounds from him, both fair trade certified, one of his Café St. Honoré brand of organic Mocha Java and one of his
Café St. Honoré decaf organic "Louis' Holy Cow Blend."

Today, let's consider the Mocha Java. When I opened the foil-lined bag, the scent that rushed out was almost enough all by itself to give me the coffee hit I love. Dark and shining, the beans were visually as well as aromatically beautiful. When ground, the grains clung to the inside of the grinder - something I have always considered a good sign. When you have to scrape the coffee out, the brew will be merveilleux!

And it was. Clear, rich and dark with very little acid, it was a lovely cup of joe. I like half-and-half in my coffee and the flavor survived even a generous dollop of cream.

You can visit Louis' Facebook page here and order the coffee here. Not only would you get a terrific cup of coffee, you'd also be helping a really nice guy to build a business that is fair to the organic farmer who grew the beans. Tastes good. Feels good. Does good. What more can you ask from a cup of coffee?

6 Comments:

Blogger Greg said...

I love the artwork on his products.Meeting French men in cafes...oh la la!

Monday, April 26, 2010  
Blogger Louis la Vache said...

(BLUSH!)
(BLUSH!)
(BLUSH!)

[Editor to Zoomie: For one of the very few times in his life, «Louis» is speechless. Usually, I can't get him to shut up, now he's so flattered and appreciative of what you wrote that he can't talk!]

Monday, April 26, 2010  
Blogger Nancy Ewart said...

Yeah - what Greg said. Meeting French men in cafes! If I didn't know that you are head over heels in love with DB, I'd be suspicious. I've been looking at his marvelous photos for some time now and think that I may have met him. Occasionally I go to St. Mark's Lutheran and I think that he goes there as well - I could be wrong but...I am not a coffee drinker but I think that I will buy some for my friends that are.
Now, isn't it nice that none of your blogging "friends" have turned out to be a modern day Jack (or June) the ripper? We are all nice, literate, creative and (mostly) polite.
But then, I think that YOU, ma cherie, bring out the best in all of us.

Monday, April 26, 2010  
Blogger Chilebrown said...

I would be like to try Louis coffee. Do we have to meet him at Cafe Fanny? Shipping and handling is a deal killer.
Catahoulas is politically correct and local. It is also near Meathenge Labs.(The lab has been closed for a while!)

Monday, April 26, 2010  
Blogger Ms Brown Mouse said...

Another non-axe-murderer, thank goodness for that!
Also that coffee cup eeeeee *faints with envy*

Monday, April 26, 2010  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Greg, yes, his comical cow is very appealing.

Louis, speechless? Well, not quite! :-)

Nancy, try it, you'll like it! Meeting French men in cafés is my new hobby.

Chilebrown, I'll bet he'd come all the way to Catahoula to meet you but don't be afraid of Café Fanny - nice folks there, too.

Morgan, you and I share a taste in china. Wait until you see the one I use day after tomorrow!

Tuesday, April 27, 2010  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home