Saturday, May 1, 2010

Blackened And Beautiful

I'm not a huge fan of blackened food - usually, it just tastes too spicy and too charred. On the first pretty Sunday of this spring, however, I blackened the heck out of a spatchcocked chicken and we both loved it. The chicken was a nice young one from Marin Sun Farms - they really do raise the nicest chickens!

I used a great big knife, a gift from my Hawaii brother - more like a machete than a kitchen implement - to whack the chicken almost in half, opening it out to the mesquite charcoal. Painted with a little crazy homemade sauce, it was ready for the fire.

I probably should have placed it indirectly over the coals but I didn't, hence the blackness. Surprise! Surprise! it didn't taste charred; it tasted smoky and tender and delicious, right down to the crispy little pointy part that in my family we have always called the "pope's nose." Forgive our levity - we were raised Catholic so we made fun of our own.

I'll talk tomorrow about the sauce - it merits its own post and tomorrow looks like perfect barbecue weather at last.


8 Comments:

Blogger Greg said...

That's what we call BBAR* chicken!;)
I've done up a couple those in my day.LOL






*burnt beyond all recognition

Saturday, May 01, 2010  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

I'm ready for some chicken! Still a little cool and windy outdoors, but I'll just do up a batch of Buffalo wings in the oven...
Wow, your birdie got smoked! I'm glad it was good.

Saturday, May 01, 2010  
Blogger Chilebrown said...

I would call that burnt and beautiful.I am so glad you are firing up the que.It is all about the taste.

I want to see a picture of that knife. You know Dr. Biggles and myself are knife geeks!

Saturday, May 01, 2010  
Blogger Ms Brown Mouse said...

Also raised catholic (in a wishy washy way) and we always called it a Parson's Nose!

Saturday, May 01, 2010  
Blogger Katie Zeller said...

Yeah, we called it that, too. I've never done the blackened thing either - I believe I shall have to give it a try ;-))

Sunday, May 02, 2010  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Greg, I love it. Do you pronounce it Beebar or B.B.A.R.?

Cookiecrumb, sounds good - or we could just shuffle off to Buffalo for the real thing!

Chilebrown, remind me and I'll bring it to our next coffee klatch so you can admire.

Morgan, same idea - making fun of clergy. Sadly, these days many of them deserve it.

KatieZ, I can recommend the sauce that resulted in the blackening but I'd cook it indirectly next time. This was too risky.

Sunday, May 02, 2010  
Blogger Louis la Vache said...

Remind «Louis» not to do anything that would provoke you to come after him with that machete....

";-D

Sunday, May 02, 2010  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Louis, consider yourself reminded! :-)

Monday, May 03, 2010  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home