Saturday, May 15, 2010

Hawaiian Soul Food

Hawaii is my heart's home. I have lived there twice, once as a little girl and again in my twenties, and because I have had the good fortune to have family living there for the past 30 years or so, I visit frequently.

When I return, I love that first moment when the plane lands and they funnel fresh Hawaiian air into the plane - the scent is distinctive and indescribably haunting. It brings tears to my eyes, the way homecomings always do. I leave the plane and walk to the terminal, avoiding the stinking diesel wiki-wiki bus in favor of drinking in that richly green, sweet, lush Hawaiian air.

Because I'm Hawaiian at heart, I love Spam. I know it's plebian and salty and fatty and bad for you. Never mind, I love it anyway. So, when pal Irene decided to celebrate her birthday by watching some hula, what else could I bring to the picnic?

Nothing could be simpler than these Spam and fresh pineapple skewers. I grilled them to add some color but these two ingredients really don't need any additional preparation - the sweet of the fresh pineapple and the salt of the Spam were made for each other. Cut each into bite-size chunks, thread them on water-soaked skewers and grill, baby, grill. Hawaiian soul food.

I think I need a return trip to the Islands - time to breathe in some of that amazing air and find an Hawaiian plate lunch with Spam in it.

6 Comments:

Blogger Zoomie said...

Morgan, after that, I don't think I like Spam anymore, either! :-)

Saturday, May 15, 2010  
Blogger Nancy Ewart said...

Spam, Spam, Spam...I am afraid that when I hear of Spam, I always think of Monty Python. I liked it when I was a kid; a favorite Sunday breakfast was eggs, biscuits and Spam because we often lived in places where you couldn't get pork, much less sausage. I still do like the occasional bit of Spam but not like the Hawaiian's do. I saw a Bourdain show on Hawaii where they had Spam sushi which I thought was creative if a bit, well, too much Spam.

Saturday, May 15, 2010  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

I know a scion of the Hormel family. Imagine his daily horror, once "Spam" became the epithet of junk email. (I doubt he's ever eaten the stuff, though.)

Your food is pure, sunny fun.

Saturday, May 15, 2010  
Blogger kudzu said...

The owner of one of my favorite San Anselmo shops told me last month she is seriously considering joining her son who lives on Kauai (my dream home) and this week there is a sign in the window saying "THINKING ABOUT MOVING SALE". Today I went across the street to talk with a young neighbor who had a garage sale and she told me she is leaving for Kauai, for good, this week. Now you.

Is somebody trying to tell me something???

PS Spam reminds me of a WWII childhood but then those memories are sometimes the warmest.

Saturday, May 15, 2010  
Blogger jumelager said...

Just thinking about that Hawaiian air makes me want to go back. I have to admit I'm a spam junkie sometimes as well and I will be trying this combination this summer!

Saturday, May 15, 2010  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Nancy, Morgan's link leads to that skit on Monty Python! My friend Irene loves Spam sushi (musubi) - someone brought her one for her birthday!

Cookiecrumb, you know or have met so many interesting people!

Kudzu, Kauai is lovely, for sure, but if I were moving, I'd probably choose Oahu for the variety of things to do, the proximity to family and the familiarity. Or the Big Island, for the sheer size.

Jumelager, I knew you would know what I meant by that air. Intoxicating!

Sunday, May 16, 2010  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home