Thursday, May 27, 2010

Strategic Planning

One of the reasons I most love roast chicken is that it makes more than one meal. We enjoy the hot bird fresh from the oven but then my strategy is to make it stretch to several meals.

As case in point, our lumpy chicken from a few nights ago.

The next day for lunch, we had a version of fried rice with chicken bits, leftover rice and a bunch of colorful veggies, simply chopped and fried quick and hot in a combination of butter and canola oil - first the carrots, celery and onion, then the fresh peas, followed by adding the rice to heat, then the meat bits
to warm (I also had a single slice of pastrami that I minced and threw in) and finally some green onion before turning it all out onto our plates. I could have added an egg, but it was protein-rich enough as it was. Very tasty and quick.

That night, My Beloved ate a plateful of cold, garlicky chicken with peas while I was out with pal Sari watching Iron Man, a movie he declined in favor of watching a Formula One race on TV.

The rest of the chicken will go into curry to give us yet another delicious dinner and a lunch the next day.

I could even have made the bones into stock but I have a freezer full right now, so I decided that this particular chicken had done her duty. She was buried with honors.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Ms Brown Mouse said...

What is it about boy folk and Formula One racing?
I'd have opted to watch Iron Man 2 too :)

Thursday, May 27, 2010  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

This is exactly what I had in mind when I asked if you had any leftover chicken. Spot on.

Thursday, May 27, 2010  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Ms Mouse, next time, I'll give you and call and see if you can join us. As for the boys, I think it's the combination of speed and danger, plus loud noises.

Cookiecrumb, the leftovers are often the best part, although I love the rich, hot roasted bird, too.

Thursday, May 27, 2010  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home