Thursday, June 3, 2010

I Have Always Loved Dragons

Of all the mythological creatures I read about back in grammar school - unicorns, trolls, gnomes, fairies, griffins - the dragons were always my favorites. Perhaps it was because they always lost out to that crabby old St. George or the fickle Jackie Paper or whomever - I have a soft spot in my heart for the underdog. Perhaps it was their power and beauty and flight that attracted me, or their misunderstood nature. Whatever the reasons, Puff and The Reluctant Dragon were friends; I certainly never thought I'd eat one.

Never say never.

When Chilebrown sent me to Baron's Meats in search of Nueske's bacon, little did I know I'd end up buying from them a Black Dragon tri-tip roast, a housemade specialty.

The Black Dragon is, indeed, nearly black with their secret marinade - the young butcher behind the counter listed some of the ingredients for me and it sounded so delicious, I couldn't resist. I can't recall them all but Worcestershire sauce, black pepper and coffee grounds were among them - you'll have to ask her yourself if you want a full accounting.

We grilled it over the Memorial Day weekend on a picture-perfect, blue-sky day when our pal Sari came for dinner and a movie ("Babies," which was both charming and as terrifying as a fire-breathing dragon). We sat outdoors chatting and chowing down on cheese and crackers while the fire readied itself and the meat cooked. The resulting meal was the quintessence of summer - spicy, grilled meat, a loaf of sourdough baguette and minimal green veggies on the side.

I'm glad I didn't really eat an old friend.

6 Comments:

Blogger Ms Brown Mouse said...

Now, I hate to brag, but pop on over and see what I brought home today.

Thursday, June 03, 2010  
Blogger Chilebrown said...

That looks great.

Thursday, June 03, 2010  
Blogger meathenge said...

Awe man! I want that! I need to hit the freeway and grab me some of that. Of course, I would rather have the recipe for the marinade. Hmmmm ...

xo, Biggles

Thursday, June 03, 2010  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

And that's just the tail! (Best meat's there anyway.)

Thursday, June 03, 2010  
Blogger Greg said...

Beefy! Last time we went to Alameda we got so lost.

Thursday, June 03, 2010  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Ms Mouse, lovely! They will bring pleasure each time you use them.

Chilebrown, it really was - almost as good as you or Biggles could make.

Rev, I'll try to get the recipe next time - Alameda is a bit of a trip.

Cookiecrumb, so I have heard.

Greg, my new Droid guided me there with the GPS feature. Otherwise, I'd still be driving around Alameda.

Friday, June 04, 2010  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home