Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Good For What Ails You

For the past four weeks, give or take, My Beloved has been in bed with the stubborn residue of an ear infection that has left my usually vigorous and cheerful sweetheart down on power and down in the mouth. Day after day of feeling listless and dizzy will do that.

Chilebrown told me about a butcher in Alameda that carries local, organic and sustainable meats and, when I got there, lo and behold, the market also featured baked goods from the Feel Good Bakery. I decided that this was a sign from Heaven; a sweet treat might perk up My Beloved's day and I was sure it would do wonders for mine.

I chose a lemon cupcake and an amazing-looking carrot cake "sandwich" with cream cheese icing between layers of moist carrot cake. We split them, as we often do, because we each wanted a taste.

Oh, yeah!

The icing was the best part of the cupcake, rich buttercream icing colored
gaily and loaded with real bits of lemon zest for flavor. The best treat, however, was the carrot cake sandwich. The crumb was moist and light and filled with carroty bits. The icing was distinctly sour-among-the-sweet - we could really taste the cream cheese. If they had added nuts, it would have been sublime; as it was, it was good for what ails you and made us both feel much, much better.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Greg said...

Love and confections will make him better soon!

Tuesday, June 01, 2010  
Blogger meathenge said...

See, lighting. It's perfect. With a similar shot, try setting your camera to the white balance of Cloudy. Just try it, adds some red. Removes some of the blue hue with such shots.

xo, Biggles

ps - Dumb digital cameras make it so hard to do it right. We never had this problem with film.

Tuesday, June 01, 2010  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Dreamy photo.

Sorry to hear your man has been ailing for so many weeks. I wish him improved spirits.

Tuesday, June 01, 2010  
Blogger Chilebrown said...

I have circumvented the Bay Area. After all my travels, the best part was saying hello to Buzz and You.

Tuesday, June 01, 2010  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Greg, oh I do HOPE so! This has been a siege.

Rev, I don't think my little point-and-shoot has such a setting. I've been through the menus but haven't discovered anything like that.

Cookiecrumb, thanks, I'll give him your well wishes.

Chilebrown, whew! Hope the gadget was worth the hassle! It was good to glimpse you, too - you're looking very well! And thanks for the herbs and bacon - will post about them soon.

Wednesday, June 02, 2010  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home