Monday, June 7, 2010

The Butcher In Me

Here's a new experience for me - slab bacon. I had heard about it, of course, as several other food bloggers I know have cured their own bacon and sliced their own slabs, but I'm a tamer soul than that - I usually buy bacon in neat slices thanks to some kindly butcher.

But, when Chilebrown offers me bacon, and cajun bacon at that, I don't ask if it's sliced, I just say, "Yes, please!"

I've heard lots of lines in my time but, "Baby, you bring out the butcher in me" is a new one, even for me. Not one you'd use in a fern bar, is it? (Am I dating myself by referring to fern bars?).

Anyway, I got out my second-biggest knife and went to work, carving pretty creditable rashers until the last few when the slab got wobbly and thin. Those last three slices had a thick and a thin end. Never mind, they were all very tasty and the bacon cooked up easily and crisply, which I appreciate, being a lover of crispy bacon.

As I mentioned, this is cajun bacon, the rind side being spread with a mixture of mild peppers to give it a little kick of heat. Chilebrown knows I'm a spice wimp and he didn't do me dirt - the spiciness was pretty mild and just added an additional flavor layer.

He didn't tell me where he got this bacon. If you want to know, you can visit his blog and ask him yourself. He's a nice guy, even if he does bring out the butcher in me.

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Greg said...

Credible rashers :).BTW fern bars are coming back.

Monday, June 07, 2010  
Blogger Chilebrown said...

The bacon came from Willow Glen Meat in San Jose. I hope you liked it. I may do a review later this week.

Monday, June 07, 2010  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Greg, fern bars - shades of our youth!

Chilebrown, it was bacon - of course I liked it! I'll be interested to read your "take" on it, you being the true bacon expert.

Monday, June 07, 2010  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

We keep our home-cured bacon in the freezer; not sure if that makes carving off slices any easier but it might.

Fern bars. I'm allergic to brass polish, so no.

Monday, June 07, 2010  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Cookiecrumb, next time, I'll try freezing it - I thought of that, only too late. :-)

Tuesday, June 08, 2010  
Blogger Nancy Ewart said...

Fern Bars:::shudder::::: I remember them all too well. I avoided them like the plague but SF was full of them at one point. That bacon looks delicious but I don't know about you and that knife. What happens when - or if - you start channeling your wild Irish ancestors? I would not like to be in your way!

Tuesday, June 08, 2010  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Nancy, you should see my biggest knife - this one is a shrimp compared to that!

Tuesday, June 08, 2010  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home