Monday, August 16, 2010

I'm Sartain

I'm on a roll. When I find a happy new ingredient, I tend to go all out, using it in several different ways. This has happened to me with Sartain's Menu sauce - I'm trying it on everything.

The latest success was with a spatchcocked Cornish hen, slathered with Sartain's and baked for about 45 minutes. It emerged from the oven as black as a banker's heart but it was scrumptious and toasted up a wonderfully tasty skin. It couldn't have been easier, either - just paint it on and leave it for about 15 minutes, then roast in a 400 degree oven. I even put the eightball squashes in the same pan so the dinner dishes were simplified.

Do I like this sauce? Sartainly!

Labels:

9 Comments:

Blogger Nancy Ewart said...

You ARE on a roll - both with the food and the puns!

Monday, August 16, 2010  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh good, a chef. Do you have any special ways to preserve tomatoes that does not involve canning? I stay away from canning because I know I'd kill myself.

Your zuke dish is just beautiful.

Monday, August 16, 2010  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

AH: Roast halved tomatoes with olive oil until they evaporate a bit, then run them through a food mill. Pour into ziplock bags, label and freeze.

Zoomie probably has better ideas. I'm just horning in.

Monday, August 16, 2010  
Blogger James Sartain said...

I stole your picture and kind words for the newest recipe on my site. Thanks again for the kind words and support. There is also a link to you on our "Recommended Links" page. I hope you don't mind, Jim

Monday, August 16, 2010  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so embarrassed for the little do/does error. I'm also embarrassed that I had to google food mill (don't tell cc).

I'll keep checking back.

Monday, August 16, 2010  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Nancy, I know, it's painful. But fun.

Alta, I'm not an expert but here's someone who is:
http://thyme2.typepad.com/thyme_for_cooking_/2010/08/caprese-cocktail-freezing-tomatoes.html
Thanks for the compliment. Oh, and you don't really need to be afraid of canning tomatoes. Because they are so acidic, they are safer than other foods. It's not as hard as you might think.

Jim, you are more than welcome - I'm please that you enjoy reading my stuff.

Alta, I'm puzzled - I can detect no do/does error. Not to worry about the food mill thing. CC will forgive.

Monday, August 16, 2010  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Ha ha! No I won't!

Monday, August 16, 2010  
Blogger Ms Brown Mouse said...

Wow you stuffed a squash! I'm impressed.

Tuesday, August 17, 2010  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Ms Mouse, do I detect a certain lack of sincerity in that comment? :-)

Tuesday, August 17, 2010  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home