Thursday, August 12, 2010

Brilliant Idea

This looks kinda gnarly but it was brilliant. First, I had the bright idea to order two to-go portions of Rosso's daily special while we were eating our dinner there; that way, I wouldn't have to cook the following day, either.

Because we were there on a Saturday, the special was smoked and braised beef short ribs. I don't know how they do it, but the beef was perfect, falling softly off the bone and lightly smoky, succulent and rich. When I first opened the box, I was a little bummed to see polenta as an accompaniment - I'm not a big polenta fan. It just sort of lays there. However, I thought, if anyone can make good polenta, it's probably Rosso, so I plopped a spoonful on my plate next to the meat, drizzled it all with the goozle in the bottom of the box and zapped it in the microwave, adding my own steamed green beans later.

Wow, that polenta was tasty! Chewy and cheesy, it had been infused with some kind of amazing blue cheese; it was the perfect complement to the short ribs. Rosso does it again! Brilliant.

Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Chilebrown said...

"Brilliant", The best idea since sliced bread. I love that commercial. I think that should inspire you to cook some of your own short ribs.

Going to the Gravestein Apple festival in Sebastapol Sunday and then Occidental for dinner. Can you solve a long running dispute? Which is better Negri's or the Union Hotel?

Thursday, August 12, 2010  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

I'm a polenta fan. We eat it with cheese mixed in (and diced jalapenos, don't faint) for breakfast.

Beef short rib! I've had it once, at a catered event. I've never cooked it at home, and I think I'm ready.

Thursday, August 12, 2010  
Blogger Greg said...

That is one sweet looking dinner. I too love polenta with cheese and goozle.

Thursday, August 12, 2010  
Blogger Ms Brown Mouse said...

Like Cookie I'm a polenta fan, mostly with lovely Parmesan Cheese mixed in, cut into knobs and then baked with a spicy tomato sauce! mmmmmm :)

Friday, August 13, 2010  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Chilebrown, sadly, we can't resolve your dispute - we've only eaten in one and we can't recall which one. What's your fave?

Cookiecrumb, not sure about breakfast but my mind has been opened to the world of polenta and cheese.

Greg, I'm late to that party but getting into the mood fast.

Ms Mouse, wow, that sounds like an amazing dish. Do you make it often?

Friday, August 13, 2010  
Blogger Ms Brown Mouse said...

I sure do in the colder months :) I'ts fancypants name is Gnocchi alla Romana!

Friday, August 13, 2010  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Ms Mouse, I thought gnocchi was made with potatoes? But, who says you can't make it with corn?

Saturday, August 14, 2010  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home