Friday, August 13, 2010

Fillip

When you're one of those folks who doesn't really like soapwort (my derogatory name for cilantro, referencing its taste), guacamole can be a challenge. I love the greenness of the cilantro in good quac, it's just the soapy flavor I don't care for. I had a breakthrough when I remembered the little plastic box of chervil I had in the fridge - why not sub out the cilantro for chervil?

I was actually a chervil novice, never before having tasted it - I really just bought it out of curiosity - so I tweaked off a little leaf to taste and enjoyed the green and lightly licorice flavor. It seemed like the perfect substitute to me. I chopped up a small handful and added it to the avocado, lime juice, minced onion, pressed garlic, chopped tomato and dollop of hot sauce. Mashed together, it made a lovely, textured guacamole that My Beloved and I devoured for lunch.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger cookiecrumb said...

I'm a chervil virgin. From your description, I'll have to try it! Sounds like a perfectly good addition to guacamole.

Friday, August 13, 2010  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Cookiecrumb, it's like fancypants parsley - less green and more licorice with finely cut leaves - really very pretty. Could be used instead of fern in flower arrangements.

Saturday, August 14, 2010  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

OK, dammit, I'm growing some.
:)

Saturday, August 14, 2010  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home