Wednesday, July 15, 2009

A Taste of Home

My friend Maria is from Chile and we often talk about the foods she enjoyed there as a child. She hasn't lived there for many years, having immigrated to this country in her teens, but her memory of those wonderful flavors is sharp and she rejoices when she finds an authentic taste of Chile here in California.

Her most recent find is Alfajores, a sweet and simple shortbread and dulce de leche sandwich cookie made right over in Walnut Creek by Sabor del Sur. Being the lovely lady that she is, she bought two for My Beloved and me to taste.

They had me from the first bite of these powdery, buttery, caramel-y cookies.
The dulce de leche is the filling between two pretty, fluted shortbread cookies powdered with confectioner's sugar. They melt in your mouth, instantly invade your veins and flood the pleasure centers in your brain with "WOW" messages. I can't imagine a richer accompaniment to a cup of tea or, better yet, hot, strong coffee.

If this is what life in Chile was like for her, I wonder why she ever left!

Labels: , ,

9 Comments:

Blogger Kailyn said...

Those sound like the cookies that a former coworker would bring into the office. Hers were made by her Peruvian grandmother. All I know is that you had to grab a few when you saw them because they disappeared quickly.

Wednesday, July 15, 2009  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

I always wanted to eat one of those cookies! Might be able to do a "work-around." You know how easy it is to make your own dulce de leche by boiling an unopened can of sweetened condensed milk?

Wednesday, July 15, 2009  
Anonymous Evlmprs said...

You probably don't remember due to the chaos and large amount of food, but we had alfajores at my birthday food scavenger hunt party. I can't remember which team found the item, but I remember they were yummy.

Wednesday, July 15, 2009  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Kailyn, these two disappeared in record time!

Cookiecrumb, doesn't the can explode if you boil it unopened? And how would it evaporate if still closed? So many questions I have!

Evlmprs, probably the winning team found them - but we are sure they cheated. :-)

Thursday, July 16, 2009  
Blogger Anna Haight said...

Wow! What a cool find!

Thursday, July 16, 2009  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Anna, Maria finds all kinds of neat stuff.

Thursday, July 16, 2009  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

I had thought the same questions, but it's doable. Just Google it. Oh, here, ya lazy bastid:

http://www.thecookinginn.com/tcirecipes/canmilkb.html

The recipe says to boil for four hours, but three is fine.

Monday, July 20, 2009  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Cookiecrumb, thanks for the link - will go and check it out. Not lazy, just corn-fused.

Monday, July 20, 2009  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Cookiecrumb, holy s**t! Did you see the caloric breakdown on that stuff???
Per serving: 982 Calories; 27g Fat (24% calories from fat); 24g Protein; 166g Carbohydrate; 104mg Cholesterol; 389mg Sodium
It's like a canned heart attack! I'm still bemused - can't figure out how the heck that works, but it's kitchen magic, I guess. I don't think I'll be making this myself - but it's interesting!

Monday, July 20, 2009  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home