Tuesday, July 7, 2009

For Love Of Onion Boy

My Beloved adores onions in any form. He slips raw onions into sandwiches, salads and, sometimes, just eats them plain. When he kisses me after consuming onions, I call him Onion Boy.

I like onions, too, but they don't like me unless they've been cooked or unless they are the super-expensive Maui onions - otherwise, urpy burpy time. I like to please him, however, so the other day I made him onion burgers.

I minced some mild red onion and mixed it gently into the ground round so the onion flavor goes all the way through (don't handle them too much or they'll be tough). He likes his burgers rarin' rare, anyway, so only the onions on the outside got cooked - inside they were really raw and tasty. Luckily, I eat mine medium rare so my onions were cooked enough to take the edge off their repeating power.

Onion Boy was pleased.

Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger Anna Haight said...

Beautiful plate Zoomie! Looks like something my Japanese host mother made where she infused the hamburger with bits of carrots, onions, peas and grated ginger (and a beaten egg to hold it together) and serve like this. We also slathered tonkatsu sauce on the top.

Tuesday, July 07, 2009  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Ha ha. I'm laughing at myself. I was going to suggest a recipe for a lovely meat-free onion tart, but then I realized we're talking Your Beloved here. He'd boycott a vegetarian meal, I suspect.

Tuesday, July 07, 2009  
Blogger Greg said...

Onion boy I like that;)
My lovely bride has been reducing onions for her special French onion soup.The whole house smells of onion.

Tuesday, July 07, 2009  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Anna, hmm, I like the idea of adding bits of veggies. Might have to take your Japanese mother up on that idea.

Cookiecrumb, oh, but I did manage to give him one meat-free meal this month without complaints from him, so please suggest it anyway - how did you make it?

Greg, oh, man, your house must be heaven right now!

Tuesday, July 07, 2009  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Hey, Zoomie, it's from an ancient library book, but I blogged about it here:
http://madeater.blogspot.com/2008/04/uninstinctive-successfully.html

Wednesday, July 08, 2009  
Blogger Katie Zeller said...

I love onions, fried, deep-fried, in stuff, but always cooked... I can eat raw garlic, but not raw onions.

Thursday, July 09, 2009  
Blogger Zoomie said...

KatieZ, I don't think I've ever tried raw garlic but I'm with you in the onion camp.

Friday, July 10, 2009  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home