Thursday, July 2, 2009

Starting Fresh

I have always loved melon and prosciutto as a starter to a meal - the sweet honey of the melon goes so well with the mildly salty ham - but last summer I discovered that one can use other fruits to pair with prosciutto as well.

White peaches, for example.

Gently peeled, because their flesh is so tender when they are perfectly ripe, then sliced carefully away from the stone and wrapped with a see-through strip of the thinnest possible slice of pale pink prosciutto. Arrange the new moons on a pretty plate and a single perfect peach makes a great, fresh starter for two or three hungry eaters.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Greg said...

Sounds lovely!

Thursday, July 02, 2009  
Blogger Anna Haight said...

I used to have the melon version (with prosciutto) in the summer when I lived in the DC area. Discovered it in an Italian restaurant and couldn't get enough of that sweet/salty treat! The peaches sound good too. Wonder if there is vegetarian prosciutto that actually tastes good...

Thursday, July 02, 2009  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

We've done this with pears from our trees. So don't get too full, pears are a' comin'.

Friday, July 03, 2009  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Greg - and so easy!

Anna, I'll be interested to hear if you find a good substitute but, judging by my tummy's reaction to the vegan meal, I don't think I'll be trying it any time soon! :-) Maybe using the peach skins, salted, to wrap around? What else would supply about the same chewiness and would add a salty something?

Cookie, the peaches on my tree are swelling, too. Mid-August, I figure. Stand by!

Friday, July 03, 2009  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home