Friday, June 26, 2009

Wayne Thiebaud

When I first moved to California about 13 years ago, I visited the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art and was introduced to some of the most delightful artists I have ever encountered. Diebenkorn, Bechtle, Arneson and my personal favorite, Wayne Thiebaud. Often playful, their work seemed infused with the laid back air of California, either in the light they captured or in the subject matter. I fell in love.

Unfortunately for me, so did the rest of the world - their smallest works were so far out of my price range as to be laughable. I settled for postcard images and posters. My kitchen has two Thiebaud reproductions in it and, as much as I love the images, they bug me, too. They simply can't convey the rich way he uses paint - almost like icing - the true playfulness of his color use, and the depth of his expertise. However, they do serve as a daily reminder of what I will do with my first $500K when I win the lottery.

Just returned from North Beach where Cousin J-Yah and I were treated to a lovely show of works by Mr. Thiebaud at the Paul Thiebaud Gallery, 645 Chestnut Street. The show will only be open until Saturday. If you can get there, go and spend an hour with Thiebaud. You'll come away smiling.

*I borrowed the image from
www.csus.edu/.../fall2002/images/36thiebaud.jpg. My thanks to them.

Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger Anna Haight said...

It's so lovely to find an artist that you connect with. Ice cream and California summers seemt to go together.

Friday, June 26, 2009  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

I love Thiebaud myself. I'm especially partial to those psychedelic colored little shadows.

Quick Thiebaud story: I had the great fortune to attend an olive oil celebration at McEvoy Ranch. In the tasting room, there's a Thiebaud painting of candies or something... I said to Nan McEvoy "Too bad it's not olives," and she said, "Oh, maybe I'll ask him."

Friday, June 26, 2009  
Blogger Nancy Ewart said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

Friday, June 26, 2009  
Blogger Nancy Ewart said...

I took my earlier post down because I was embarrassed by the typos. Never post first thing in the morning - too many mistakes..

Isn't it a delicious exhibit? I wanted to lick the paint off some of the pieces but - in the interest of art - managed to control myself. But it was difficult.

Friday, June 26, 2009  
Blogger Ms Brown Mouse said...

It's so unfair, is it not, that those of us who would buy art because we love it (not for "investment") are usually the ones who can't afford it.
*sighing over art*

Friday, June 26, 2009  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Anna, he also does landscapes and cityscapes, as well as the better know cakes, pies, etc. Wonderful artist!

Cookiecrumb, one more thing we have in common - I LOVE the shadows - so unexpected and yet so true. Imagine actually knowing him - lucky them!

Nancy, yes, killer show - really special, and the very nice young man in the gallery was kind enough to show me the ones tucked away in the back, even though I told him up front that I couldn't afford to buy anything. Now, that's a good gallerist!

Morgan, I have a fantasy that Mr. Thiebaud will read my blog post and be moved to paint one just for me. Isn't that the _best_ daydream?

Saturday, June 27, 2009  
Blogger Ms Brown Mouse said...

Dream on, you just never know!

Saturday, June 27, 2009  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home