Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Daily Bread

I'm never buying hamburger buns again. Nor hot dog buns. I may also refuse to buy white bread. All of those have been replaced by our new daily bread, Acme Herb Slab.

The Herb Slab is a sort of focaccia-like bread, about the size of a placemat and an inch thick. It's made of white flour but has big air pockets and herbs so it's lighter than most breads and full of flavor.
If you live outside of Acme's sphere of influence, any herbed focaccia will probably substitute well.

We first had it as the bun for lamb burgers at daughter Katie's birthday party and since then I have used it to make garlic bread as well as for hot dog and hamburger buns and sandwiches. You just cut off the right size and shape from the slab, slice it in half between the crusts, and there you have a really flavorful covering for your sandwich, or whatever!

Maybe this won't be the foodie innovation of the year but for me it has been a delight to find an easy and delicious substitute for those tasteless rolls that fall apart on the first bite and add nothing but calories to a burger. I also like that it's firm but relatively soft, not like trying to bite through a French roll, which no one but Joe E. Brown could do.

Wonder™ may indeed wonder where their sales have gone once everyone switches over to the marvelous herbed substitute. Give us this day.




Labels: ,

9 Comments:

Blogger Greg said...

We always grab one when we go past Acme at the Ferry Building. We slice it in little squares and freeze it for later use. Good Stuff!

Wednesday, June 17, 2009  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

I'm totally off conventional hot dog and hamburger buns. They have milk in them, and they're bland.
This is nice!
I loved the half lamb slider of yours I assembled with this bread.

Wednesday, June 17, 2009  
Blogger Chilebrown said...

How about firing up Your oven?

Wednesday, June 17, 2009  
Blogger Ms Brown Mouse said...

The put MILK in bread? That I never knew.

Thursday, June 18, 2009  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Greg, good idea to freeze some - I need to look into an extra freezer.

Cookiecrumb, amen to that!

Chilebrown, too much trouble when Acme will do it for me so deliciously.

Morgan, I'm sure they think it makes that gooshy s**t healthier...

Thursday, June 18, 2009  
Blogger Katie Zeller said...

The hot dog bun that sticks like glue to the roof of your mouth... Yeah, I could live without that.
I want your focaccia

Thursday, June 18, 2009  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

I think the milk is what makes the buns soft. Which is a "good thing" for some people.
I might just stick with tortillas. :D

Thursday, June 18, 2009  
Blogger Zoomie said...

KatieZ, I think it's pretty easy to make, if you are in to baking.

Cookiecrumb, I'm going to try the tortillas, at least for hot dogs - seems like a fun solution.

Thursday, June 18, 2009  
Blogger Ms Brown Mouse said...

Hot dogs, hmmm, I think I'll stick with sausage sarnies!

Friday, June 19, 2009  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home