Friday, June 5, 2009

Minihen Pheromones

My Beloved is very fond of minihens - Cornish game hens. I'm not sure why they are so special to him since, to me, they taste just like chicken, but he gets a kick out of them so every now and then we share one.

Last night's dinner was one of the best preparations I have made of this funny little bird. Usually, I just roast them but this time I had read about "spatchcocking" poultry by taking the back out and flattening the bird so I decided to give it a whirl.

All you do is cut down either side of the backbone with a pair of kitchen shears, then flip the bird and press down on the breast with the heel of your hand until it flattens out. Kinda prefer the term "butterflying," myself, but whatever - same idea - to make flat for ease of cooking that which is round.

It worked wonderfully. I put it skin side down in a wide frying pan and browned it in a drizzle of olive oil laced with a pat of white truffle butter, then flipped it and added shallots and half a fresh chopped heirloom tomato to the pan along with a healthy pinch of Herbs de Provence. I covered the pan and let all that goodness steam away together for about 15 or 20 minutes before serving with the pan contents heaped on top.

The scents drew Cora in from the next room and My Beloved up from his downstairs office, both sniffing the air and looking hopeful. Better than pheromones for attracting the loved ones.

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger cookiecrumb said...

It looks like a miniature birdie alongside blades of grass, topped by gargantuan cloves of garlic! Jonathan Swift, we need you.
Sounds yummy.

Friday, June 05, 2009  
Blogger kudzu said...

Shame on you -- a nice lady like yourself flipping the bird in your own kitchen.

Friday, June 05, 2009  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Cookiecrumb, ha! You're right - Liliputian hen and Brobdingnagian garlic!

Kudzu, I laughed out loud!

Friday, June 05, 2009  
Blogger Kitt said...

How tasty that looks! I like the word spatchcocking. Now I have to go research the etymology.

Friday, June 05, 2009  
Blogger Ms Brown Mouse said...

mmmm, love the smell of wee roasting birdies.

Friday, June 05, 2009  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Kitt, if you figure it out, will you let me know, please?

Morgan, that may have been the very best part - the scents!

Saturday, June 06, 2009  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home