Thursday, May 28, 2009

Porky Dipsea

I'm a fan of pulled pork sandwiches - I order one almost every time I see it on a menu. I don't know where this taste comes from - it was certainly never served in my family home - but it is an enduring favorite.

It's 'way too much trouble to make at home - I'm more of a "dinner in 30 minutes" person than a "smoke it for five hours" type. So, I'm always grateful for people who are willing to take their sweet, smoky time.

I didn't know that the Dipsea Café in Mill Valley had pulled pork - had I known, I'd have gone sooner. Their version is nicely meaty and barbecue-y but the best part was the addition of cole slaw as "greens" in the sandwich. The cole slaw added a quiet crunch and a little surprise, something I haven't tasted since my last trip to true Barbecue Land, North Carolina.

Like Arnold, I'll be back.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger peter said...

I usually rub and smoke a shoulder for an hour or five, then braise it in the oven, and then pull it apart (removing all the fat and gristle) and simmer it in a thickened, flavored braising liquid for another hour or two. It's time-intensive, but it might be the best thing ever to hit a piece of cornbread.

I'm with you; I never had it growing up. But most restaurant versions don't have the crazy things I like to put in, so they tend to let me down.

It's hard to be me.

Thursday, May 28, 2009  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Peter, I expect it's hard to be you at restaurants, no matter what you order. Still, better to be you and eat like a king most days, than have the occasional fancypants meal in a restaurant. :-)

Thursday, May 28, 2009  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home