Monday, May 18, 2009

Cheating the Season

Okay, I admit it - I bought cherry tomatoes imported from Mexico to hurry along the summer season. Usually, I try to eat locally and seasonally and this year I planted my own cherry tomato bush, but this time I just had to. You see, my oregano, planted as a tiny sprig a month or so ago, is now a healthy plant threatening to outgrow its side of the pot it shares with the tomato and other herbs, so I needed to pinch it back. It reminds me of a six year-old boy - a little too eager and aggressive, but delightful just the same.

I decided to make a caprese salad using the oregano tips rather than the more traditional basil and we actually liked it even better. The vinaigrette was simple - just a tablespoon of Dijon mustard whisked with a similar amount of Meyer lemon juice, a squeezed clove of garlic and about twice the amount of olive oil, plus the minced oregano.

I may have rushed the tomato season a bit, but it was worth it.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Katie Zeller said...

We live in the tomato capital of France... The cherry tomatoes have been wonderful - so I bought a big one, not expecting much. It tasted like I just picked it on a sunny afternoon in my garden. I was totally amazed! I'm going back for more. I'd send you some if I could (Thank you for the poem, hugs)

Monday, May 18, 2009  
Blogger julie said...

hi there...i really enjoy your blog, which was recommended by my friend irene shin. and your dog is adorable!
i have a little blog; i'd be honored if you wanted to check it out:
http://onegoodnosh.blogspot.com/
thanks
julie

Monday, May 18, 2009  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Awww... That is the PRETTIEST thing I've ever seen.

Monday, May 18, 2009  
Blogger Zoomie said...

KatieZ, lucky you! Our tomatoes are wonderful here, once the season starts, but it's not quite here yet.

Julie, say hi to Irene for me! Haven't seen her recently. Thanks for the compliment about Cora - I'm in love with her, too! :-) I'll definitely check out your blog!

Cookiecrumb, I was pleased with the salad - and the photo!

Tuesday, May 19, 2009  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home