Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Orange Vitamins

I already told you about the caprese salad (except to remark that it's still good the next day) and, although the pork tenderloin rubbed with Chinese five spice was perfectly roasted and utterly delicious, it's really all about the kabocha squash puréed with orange juice.

I roasted the squash with the idea of making soup but the weather was suddenly summer so I just peeled the squash and shoved it in the fridge, thinking we'd be back to spring in a few days.

Those days flew by and, apparently, summery weather is here to stay. So, I put it into the blender with a splash of OJ and whirled it smooth and silky. Gently reheated and served alongside the tenderloin, it gave us a healthy dose of orange vitamins, a taste treat and a perfect pairing for the pork.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger julie said...

Oh how I love kabocha squash!That sounds wonderful :)
Also was very touched by the piece about your Mom. I lost my Dad 2 years ago and understand how things like handwriting can be such an emotional touchstone.

Wednesday, May 20, 2009  
Blogger Greg said...

I just bought my first bottle of five spice powder.Do you mix it with oil? I just shook it on and felt like the result was grainy.

Wednesday, May 20, 2009  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Julie, thanks for the kind words. It's tough losing beloved parents.

Greg, like you, I just shook it on - mine is a very fine powder. But, your idea of mixing it with oil would help to lubricate this fairly lean cut.

Thursday, May 21, 2009  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home