Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Seeking the Dream Crab Sandwich

Back in the '80s, My Beloved frequented a restaurant in the Ignacio section of Novato where they served what he thinks of as the Dream Crab Sandwich. He can't recall the name of the long-gone restaurant but the memory of the crab sandwich is still with him. Twenty plus years later, he searches still for one as full of fresh Dungeness crab on as tangy sourdough bread with a frill of fresh lettuce. His recollection is that there was no sauce and the bread was untoasted, just a heaping serving of the best fresh crab between two slices of excellent bread. It has proved to be elusive heaven - he has never again found one as dreamy.

In Sunol at Bosco's, however, he came mighty close. His fresh Dungeness crab and bay shrimp sandwich was grilled and the shellfish had a light dressing, but it was as fully sumptuous a serving as the Dream Crab Sandwich. The menu offered this combo with cheddar cheese as a melt, but he wanted just the seafood and he made a good choice. Topped with cheese, it would have been too rich - undressed, it was lovely. The accompanying French fries were done perfectly, crisp and golden on the outside, almost melty on the inside. We will happily return to Bosco's in the future - it's a major "find!"

We explored the Niles Canyon on the way home, noting that there's a tourist railway that offers rides down the canyon, an amusement for another day. The drive through the canyon is very scenic on a pretty little two-lane road that we shared with
a few other cars and brightly dressed bicyclists hunched over their handlebars.

My Beloved is still seeking the Dream Crab Sandwich so if you have leads to great crab sammies, please let us know. In the meantime, however, we can recommend a trip to tiny Sunol in search of the Almost Dream Crab Sandwich.

Labels: , ,

10 Comments:

Blogger Ms Brown Mouse said...

Crab, the teeniest bit of real mayo, snipped chives, on proper bread (fresh & fragrant) - so simple & perfect you can do it at home.

Wednesday, June 03, 2009  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Morgan, weeeeeellll, yes, but then the fun of hunting would be over, wouldn't it? :-D

Wednesday, June 03, 2009  
Blogger Greg said...

I have been searching for the name of the restaurant you spoke of. If it was in the Ignacio Center it was Crivello's.I jumped into the wayback machine for that one!

Wednesday, June 03, 2009  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Greg, My Beloved confirms that was the name of the place and asks if you know if those owners have opened anywhere else?

Wednesday, June 03, 2009  
Blogger Greg said...

No i think the patriarch died and the kids did not take over.

Thursday, June 04, 2009  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Greg, oh, sad, the passing of an era.

Friday, June 05, 2009  
Blogger Amanda B RecKonwithe said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

Sunday, September 04, 2022  
Blogger Amanda B RecKonwithe said...

Looks like I'm a little late to this party, but I worked in that shopping center at the time, and anytime I had six bucks or so for lunch (that's like a $20 sando now), I got one of these. I got all crab if I was in the money, or crab and shrimp if I wasn't feeling quite as rich. My work-buddies and I called it a Crab-a-locka-fish-wife in tribute to I Am The Walrus! My recollection is that they used Boudin's sliced sourdough, not toasted, a little mayo, not sure on chives or lettuce. THAT was truly a Dream Sandwich.... I am making a crab sando tonight and using Crivello's as my model, although I am using a supermarket boiled crab, possibly frozen from last season. Let's just say, I'm doing a lot of rinsing to get rid of the yellow crab-butter coloring.... anyway, I did a quick Search for Crivello's Crab Sandwich and wound up here...

Sunday, September 04, 2022  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As a native San Franciscan and (former ) long time Marin resident, I can tell you the original Crivello’s was at The Cannery in SF. I still long for the Sando I used to get there some lunch times. Boudin fresh sourdough sounds right, as does the crab plus Mayo. The one thing I miss about living in SF is the wonderful French bread! (We have Dungeness crab, thankfully!)

Monday, May 15, 2023  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

All this conversation about Crivellos brings back memories of their shrimp crepes! They were to die for. Just shrimp rolled up in a couple of crepes and the most incredible light cream sauce that was so delicious we all always wanted to lick our plates clean. I have tried to replicate it but no dice.

Wednesday, May 24, 2023  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home